Rooster is picking on my hens

Kate in CT

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 25, 2009
I have a mixed flock: 3 Buff Orpington, 6 Partridge Rocks, 2 Columbian Wyandotte, 1 Partridge Cochin, and a mutt rooster. The BO's are the oldest by a couple of months, I'm not sure how old the roooster is-he was a gift-but he is probably younger than the BO's, but older than the other nine. The rooster has always preferred the company of the BO's, but he does associate and take care of the other girls-with exceptions. There are maybe 2-3 of the Partridge Rocks that he actively harasses. Today, I watched him chase a hen away from food. I understand the whole pecking order concept, and do not interfere with the girls' social order, but this behavior from the rooster seems out of line to me. Has anyone else had a rooster act like this?

The rooster is NOT the friendliest of birds-he's fine with me (I pick him up or walk at him to make him back down when he gets uppity), but has tried to attack my DH more than once.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm starting to think he needs to be gone!

I'd get another roo. My feeling is that there are too many good roos out there to put up with one that isn't nice to his ladies or to the people that live around him. If you do get a new roo be sure to quarintine and introduce him gradually. If you want to try to work with the one you have now you can try putting him in chicken jail for a week or so and see if he is more respectfull when he is put back with the hens. If he is in the 5-8 month old age range he may just be being a snotty teenager and could out grow his bad behaviour in another few months. Some of them are selfish little jerks to the hens until they grow up a bit more.

I had an EE rooster that was really good with the girls. Notice I say, HAD. Another rooster came into play by accident. Actually there were two of them but we gave one of them away. We do have to flocks which do free range together. Long story short the EE rooster got very aggressive and wanted the other roosters girls. I was over it........ As pretty as he was he was just to aggressive where the girls were losing feathers. He's at a new home now. Things have calmed down quite a bit. It's worth getting rid of an aggressive rooster for a much nice one.

Maybe that's what I should have done to my rooster..."gifted" him to someone...lol. Personally, I wouldn't keep a rooster who behaved aggressively toward people; there's just too much risk involved (kids, company, etc.) IMO. It would also bother me a lot that his priority isn't all of the hens when it comes to feeding. There are many roosters out there who cater to their ladies...

Wendell (the rooster) is absolutely a peach with the blonde girls . . .he'll actually be in the front yard with the BO's while the other 9 are way out back. He's just over a year old, isn't that too old to be just a bratty kid?

I don't know if I'd rehome him because I don't want him to hurt anyone . . .but I'm a wimp so I just can't wring his neck!

Would it be wrong to offer him free to a good crockpot on Craigslist?

Quote:
If he's over a year old he's not a bratty teenager, he's just a brat. Nothing wrong with free to a good crockpot, then you can save a nice roo from a crockpot--in fact if you were closer to me you could save one of mine.
wink.png
I don't mind eating them, but it's always nice to be able to send one to a good home where he can have his own flock.

Back
Top Bottom