Rooster is too rough on hens.

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
Hello! I have eight chickens, one being a rooster. So being a rooster, he mates with them. That wouldn’t be a problem if he didn’t tear their feathers out. This has been going on for 1-2 months. I can’t get the ones I need to put saddles on. I've tried spur trimming, and I’m not sure it worked. Some hens look perfect now after I did it, some are hardly/not healing. And one is just getting worse. I’m not up to removing the rooster or killing him, so I need suggestions on how I could help my birds. Thanks.

Why cant you get to the ones that need saddles?
If they go in a coop at night. That is the time (after dark) that its beast to handle birds.
Some roosters have poor "technique", other are just young and learning, and some are just unnessarily rough and will always be so.
Most roosters will have one or two favorites that will show more wear than the others.
Hope you figure this out.

Hello! I have eight chickens, one being a rooster. So being a rooster, he mates with them. That wouldn’t be a problem if he didn’t tear their feathers out. This has been going on for 1-2 months. I can’t get the ones I need to put saddles on. I've tried spur trimming, and I’m not sure it worked. Some hens look perfect now after I did it, some are hardly/not healing. And one is just getting worse. I’m not up to removing the rooster or killing him, so I need suggestions on how I could help my birds. Thanks.
Removing him for at least part of the day may be the only solution to protect your girls.
Tell us more....
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would be most helpful here.
Where are the feathers being 'torn out'?
Some birds have weak/brittle feathers.
Some cock/erels have terrible technique and/or demeanor and are incorrigible.

I'm guessing they are under a year of age.
If they aren't free ranging, the rooster doesn't have to be with them all the time.
One thing you can do is put him in separate housing for 4 or 5 days a week.
Initially, I was going to do that first. I just don’t know if I have to make a new coop for him or just put him in a separated run. Also, he’s a year and a half old.

Why cant you get to the ones that need saddles?
If they go in a coop at night. That is the time (after dark) that its beast to handle birds.
Some roosters have poor "technique", other are just young and learning, and some are just unnessarily rough and will always be so.
Most roosters will have one or two favorites that will show more wear than the others.
Hope you figure this out.
My rooster is, well possessive, and my hens freak out. There’s only a select few I can handle. I’ll try to tonight and I’ll see how it goes.

Removing him for at least part of the day may be the only solution to protect your girls.
Tell us more....
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would be most helpful here.
Where are the feathers being 'torn out'?
Some birds have weak/brittle feathers.
Some cock/erels have terrible technique and/or demeanor and are incorrigible.
My coop is a 18 square feet, and my run is 108 square feet. Is that enough? I let them free range on plenty enough land around an hour daily. The chickens themselves are above a year old. And the feathers are being torn out on the saddle and parts of the shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom