Rooster isn’t protective of his flock?!

A rooster will warn your flock of danger, but a rooster is still no match for a grown dog. If that’s why you want him to be more protective then the problem is that the dogs need to be contained better, not that the rooster needs to be more aggressive. Also if you have any pictures I’d like to see them cause I love pictures of roosters 😆
I will try to contain them better and try to train them, and let me check if I can upload one

Oh, count your lucky stars. Nice roosters are soooo much better than mean ones. I had to cull two mean ones, and the one I have is... ok.

It will have to be up to you to keep the dogs and chickens separate. I know my dog would go after my chickens if she could. And the neighbor warned me their dog would kill a chicken if he had the chance. So the chickens have a fenced in run, they are safe, and the dogs are good dogs. I'm happy, the neighbors are happy, the chickens are happy (alive and safe), and the dogs are able to do dog stuff and be happy.
Yea I’m gonna give them lots of toys to keep them busy and try to train one by one. I though something was wrong because I’ve never had such a nice rooster so thank you all for letting be no it’s normal and better.

I will try to contain them better and try to train them, and let me check if I can upload one

A45E41FC-095D-478C-9EF9-A55A04D8F9F1.jpeg

So my rooster is 6 months and I’ve tried to make him be protective of his flock by chasing them or just grabbing them, but he doesn’t attack me or even come up to be he actually seems scared. He is alert of bird flying by and hawks coming near and warns his flock. Obviously I don’t want him to attack me but I want him to always show some interest that I’m a threat. Could it be for his age? Please let me know y’all’s thoughts.

Well the cockerel I just sent packing would ignore the pullets and stalk the doors to the house waiting for me to come out the door so he could come after me... I'd have sent him to you but after he bit you a few times and drew blood I think you'd change your mind... :D
He's also too young, still an adolescent, so think teenage boy response. Not always the best.
If he's paying attention then he's communicating with the hens. If he doesn't think you're a threat, but hawks are, that's good!

So my rooster is 6 months and I’ve tried to make him be protective of his flock by chasing them or just grabbing them, but he doesn’t attack me or even come up to be he actually seems scared. He is alert of bird flying by and hawks coming near and warns his flock. Obviously I don’t want him to attack me but I want him to always show some interest that I’m a threat. Could it be for his age? Please let me know y’all’s thoughts.
I have a theory, if u raise several roosters from chicks and then pick the dominant one and eventually control him even if u smack him a good one when he is attacking you, he will jump in your arms and defend the flock aggressively, killing rodents, chasing fox, coons and skunks, will die in fight with larger cats or dogs, but infict major damage.

There are a lot of theories with roosters. I have had a few myself. Now I think there is no sure way to raise one and get the rooster you want. Some are great roosters, some are nightmares. It is a crapshoot. Some are marvelous with flocks, their ladies adore him, and are calmer and peaceful with him, he is calm around people, even children, a pleasure to have.

Some attack hens, people and dogs. They are demonic for no reason. IMO the way you get a good rooster, is you do not keep a rotten rooster. You really cannot change the rooster you have. Some improve with age, some get worse.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom