Rooster isn’t protective of his flock?!

Lizzieschicks

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2020
So my rooster is 6 months and I’ve tried to make him be protective of his flock by chasing them or just grabbing them, but he doesn’t attack me or even come up to be he actually seems scared. He is alert of bird flying by and hawks coming near and warns his flock. Obviously I don’t want him to attack me but I want him to always show some interest that I’m a threat. Could it be for his age? Please let me know y’all’s thoughts.

I don't get why you are trying to antagonize your cockerel. Caretakers should not be regarded as a threat by the flock. The greatest protection most roosters provide is as a warning system. Some few roosters, especially game fowl in my experience, may physically intercede. They generally don't live very long.

He is alert of bird flying by and hawks coming near and warns his flock.
This is what he needs to do. Believe me, you don't WANT him to think you are a threat. There are a lot of people who wish their cockerels (male under a year old) were more like yours.

Chasing your pullets probably is not a good idea. You don't want them to think you are a threat either.

Chickens don't think like people. What might work for people won't necessarily work for a chicken, and some males have a stronger protective instinct than others.

This is what he needs to do. Believe me, you don't WANT him to think you are a threat. There are a lot of people who wish their cockerels (male under a year old) were more like yours.

Chasing your pullets probably is not a good idea. You don't want them to think you are a threat either.

Chickens don't think like people. What might work for people won't necessarily work for a chicken, and some males have a stronger protective instinct than others.
I don't get why you are trying to antagonize your cockerel. Caretakers should not be regarded as a threat by the flock. The greatest protection most roosters provide is as a warning system. Some few roosters, especially game fowl in my experience, may physically intercede. They generally don't live very long.

I have dogs that I’ve had for a couple of years that have recently been aggressive towards chickens so I keep them on a different side but every know and then the jump over the fence. I just don’t want to lose any of them I’ve already had a couple die. He is a nice rooster compare to my passed ones.

I have dogs that I’ve had for a couple of years that have recently been aggressive towards chickens so I keep them on a different side but every know and then the jump over the fence. I just don’t want to lose any of them I’ve already had a couple die. He is a nice rooster compare to my passed ones.
A rooster will warn your flock of danger, but a rooster is still no match for a grown dog. If that’s why you want him to be more protective then the problem is that the dogs need to be contained better, not that the rooster needs to be more aggressive. Also if you have any pictures I’d like to see them cause I love pictures of roosters 😆

He is a nice rooster compare to my passed ones.
Oh, count your lucky stars. Nice roosters are soooo much better than mean ones. I had to cull two mean ones, and the one I have is... ok.

It will have to be up to you to keep the dogs and chickens separate. I know my dog would go after my chickens if she could. And the neighbor warned me their dog would kill a chicken if he had the chance. So the chickens have a fenced in run, they are safe, and the dogs are good dogs. I'm happy, the neighbors are happy, the chickens are happy (alive and safe), and the dogs are able to do dog stuff and be happy.

Back
Top Bottom