Rooster issue w/ younger birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mustangsaguaro, Oct 18, 2012.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I have a young male (about 6mos old). He's a Blue Orpington and is huge. I have some other young males (RIR and BO) they are about 4 1/2 mos and are about half this guys size. Not sure why. Anyways, this larger male always creates havoc at night when I put everyone to bed. During the day the big guy is free ranging w/ 2 other males (another Orp and an Ameraucana) and 2 Orp females. At night the 5 of them go back in the run w/ the RIR, BO, a small OE banty pullet and 2 silkies. This Blue Orp harasses my RIR and BO. He never bothers the 2 silkies or the little banty. I am wondering if I should cull this guy because of his antics he pulls at night. THe last few nights I have taken him and put him in a separate area by himself. During the day he's back w/ his buddies free ranging and doesn't harrass them at all. I was planning on using him to breed w/ the 2 pullets that are blue orps as well. Now I am wondering if I should cull him and use the other orp male I have. The only issue w/ the other orp is he is a Lavender. I love the Lav color but if I use the Lav over the 2 blue I will only hatch out blue split or black split chicks. I wanted to use the Blue guy over these 2 females since a blue x blue will give me BBS. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Yes I know I have to many males. I have been trying to find homes for the RIR, BO and the Ameraucana. But no luck.

Thanks

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Sounds like the boys are working through a pecking order for roosting, and yes the too have a pecking order. I would keep him and rehome/cull the other two. I have a splash orp and love him and his color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by