Rooster Issues!

tanninman

Hatching
Jun 19, 2018
Jefferson NY
Hello Guys,

I am new here and really need some help. We have a small flock, 33 including 3 boys. Top rooster is 2.5 years old, unchallenged. #2 & 3 are both 14 months, raised together, always got along fine. In recent weeks they have had multiple brief squabbles, usually the same one (Moses) would back off and then everything would be fine. Zacchaeus (#2 ) seems to be the aggressor. A couple days ago the fighting was pretty intense (to me at least) so they have been separated since. Don't want to eat one of them or give them away to be eaten, I read an article here that makes me think I should give them another chance to fight it out and restore order, I broke them up after a minute or two several times, the article suggested that was nothing. Any further input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
Mike

If their causing serious wounds then Seperate them.If there ain’t terrible blood shed no need to Seperate,sit there and monitor it.
Thanks for your advice. Maybe I will sneak him back in tonight and see if they can sort it out in the am. Perhaps I am more traumatized than they are!

Welcome to BYC. How much space do they have ? If the loser is able to get away from the victor (free range or very large pen) let them fight it out. Monitor the brawl because if you are experiencing excessive heat right now one or both may succumb to heat prostration.

Welcome to BYC. How much space do they have ? If the loser is able to get away from the victor (free range or very large pen) let them fight it out. Monitor the brawl because if you are experiencing excessive heat right now one or both may succumb to heat prostration.
Thank You for the welcome! Coop is 10x10, covered run attached to each side 10x12, yard maybe 20x40. During the last fight one may have been getting tired, cause the other was on top of him for a bit.

Welcome! Some sparing is fine, but nobody should be wounded. In hot weather, they certainly could have heat stroke issues rather than give up.
When this has happened in my flock, and there's no clear winner, I've rehomed one of them. Constant fighting raises the stress level of the entire flock, not good.
Temporary 'who's on first' issues that are resolved can work out.
Mary

Welcome to BYC!

Am surprised you haven't had trouble with the males before this(14mos),
assuming they were raised together at your place since hatch.

If you don't want them eaten, best set up a bachelor coop to benefit some peace to all the birds and yourself. Why keep so many males, are you hatching/breeding??

10x10 is tight coop space for 33 birds, run space too.
Yard space sounds good-do they are every day access to that?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-6-20_10-6-40.png

Welcome! Some sparing is fine, but nobody should be wounded. In hot weather, they certainly could have heat stroke issues rather than give up.
When this has happened in my flock, and there's no clear winner, I've rehomed one of them. Constant fighting raises the stress level of the entire flock, not good.
Temporary 'who's on first' issues that are resolved can work out.
Mary

Thank you for your reply Mary. Put them back together, #1 boy, Gideon chased him around for a bit, a friendly reminder. Zac & Moses did do a bit of "sparring", several times, very brief, nothing bad, Moses walked away each time and they both went about their own business. Looks like the pecking order remains intact and everyone is fine with it. Quite a relief, at least for now.

Thanks Again

Welcome to BYC!

Am surprised you haven't had trouble with the males before this(14mos),
assuming they were raised together at your place since hatch.

If you don't want them eaten, best set up a bachelor coop to benefit some peace to all the birds and yourself. Why keep so many males, are you hatching/breeding??

10x10 is tight coop space for 33 birds, run space too.
Yard space sounds good-do they are every day access to that?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 1437613

Thank You for the reply and welcome! Yes together since day 1 always been fine. I may consider the separate accommodations, want to keep our options open for breeding.

Yes, they are out in yard everyday except for when we are not home till after dark. We are in Upstate NY northern edge of Catskill Mountains.

Thanks again for your time and the tips!

You do need a plan B.... maybe you will never need it. But you need a way to separate them, and place the separately in place, cause if it goes south it can do so in an instant. A long handle fishnet is handy to break them up. A dog carrier can be great to take one out of the set up. Some have been known to keep fighting through a fence.

Wishing they would all get a long does not work, I think you will have scuffles more and more, and that they will become more and more violent. You might not. The constant fighting or being exposed to that much tension in the flock, will upset your layers.

I always try and solve for the peace of the flock, one or more of the roosters might need to go. Roosters are a crap shoot.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom