Rooster issues

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
We have some rooster issues.
We have a coop with large fowl blue and splash Cochins.
We let the hens go broody in the coop and raise chicks with the flock.
Our first Cochin rooster was good with the hens but attacked humans.
So we butchered him and got a new Cochin rooster.
This rooster doesn't attack humans but he is horrible to the hens.
We had a broody Cochin hen recently hatch 7 chicks.
She led them out of the nest for the first time and I opened to coop door to watch.
She had a low protective stance covering the chicks and our rooster ran across the coop pecking her while her babies watched.
I guess he saw her as a threat.
So I stopped him and went to the barn to get the fish net.
I opened the door and he came running again so I caught him.
Now I have him in a smaller coop separate from most of the hens.
Other issue is to keep the eggs fertile I have to rotate the hens in the smaller coop he is housed in.
I was thinking could I keep one of the baby cockerels the mother hatched as a breeder?
I think one of the babies would be more respectful to the hens being raised with them and all.
I know he would be the son of one of the hens.
How much genetic trouble would this cause?
Cochin roosters are hard to find in my area.
The nearest Cochin breeder is almost 2 hours away from us.

If you get a cockerel from your hen's babies, you could wait to see if he grows up into a good roo. The thing is, the genetics will be very mixed up in the future if you get new chicks from new hens. You could get a roo from a different breed...?

Genetics do matter, but each bird is an individual, so see how your new chicks develop. Raising cockerels in a mixed age flock, with mature hens (and roosters) to teach manners, is a good thing. Keeping within your breed is good, and you may need outside chicks anyway to manage your flock, depending on your breeding plans and program.
IMO, only polite roosters are worth having!
Mary

Eh, in my experience, one bird, half related to one other bird, isn't a horrible genetic issue so long as both are healthy. Two of my flocks are far more interrelated than that and they're still fine.

Last year my tiny Belgian d'Uccle group showed a bad problem with half of their hatching chicks, who didn't survive. Inbreeding finally brought up a recessive and fatal trait, sadly. iI'm not introducing new blood, these few birds will live out their lives and no longer have chicks. I'm sad about it, but there it is.
Mary

I would like to Update this old thread.
I found a new Cochin rooster.
He treats the ladies with respect.
He doesn't attack chicks, humans or broody hens.
I had to drive 1 hour away to get him but I think it was worth it.
He is black and when crossed with my Splash Cochin hens the offspring will be 100% blue which is more desirable to people looking to buy hatching eggs from me.
He is also has better conformity to the Cochin breed standard like a rounded tail.
I bought him as a package deal he came with a black Cochin hen $30 for the pair.
She has been a good broody hen.
She is raising 8 chicks right now.

Back
Top Bottom