Rooster issues

lilme73

Chirping
May 8, 2023
Knotts island, North Carolina
I went into My chicken coop because their was an egg laying on the ground. As I was doing this I gently made the hen move away so I could grab the egg and the next thing I know the Rooster is attacking me. He leaped up on me. If it hadn't of happened to me and I would have been watching this it probably would have been funny. Ughhhhhh

I went into My chicken coop because their was an egg laying on the ground. As I was doing this I gently made the hen move away so I could grab the egg and the next thing I know the Rooster is attacking me. He leaped up on me. If it hadn't of happened to me and I would have been watching this it probably would have been funny. Ughhhhhh
I'm thinking he didn't like me getting so close to his hen????

No, you are making excuses for him, thinking that you triggered the attack. What probably triggered the attack is that you bent over, and did not look as big, so he took his opportunity.

It really is not funny, and it is more than likely apt to get worse. There will be others that say you can retrain them, but more people say you can't. It won't go back to how it was, and it is apt to get much worse.

If you have small children, keep them away until you have made a permanent solution.

Mrs K

Thank you for your advice. I stood facing him after he did attack me and started walking directly towards him until he backed down. I also went back in 2 more times today in the coop so he wouldn't think he intimidated me. Don't know if it worked or not or if they even think that way. Either way he didn't do it again not today anyways.
Also, I do not have any children.
Thank you though,
Amy l
No, you are making excuses for him, thinking that you triggered the attack. What probably triggered the attack is that you bent over, and did not look as big, so he took his opportunity.

It really is not funny, and it is more than likely apt to get worse. There will be others that say you can retrain them, but more people say you can't. It won't go back to how it was, and it is apt to get much worse.

If you have small children, keep them away until you have made a permanent solution.

Mrs K

What I would expect, is that he will back down...and bide his time. He will wait for a moment when you are not aware of him, have your arms full, or are bent over again, and then attack.

I think rooster training needs to begin long before the attack, once the attack, I don't think they go back. They have a very small brain, and no one lived in a coop. Even with forceful, brave walking, and respect inducing, some roosters will not turn out.

The way to get a good rooster, is with a sharp knife, you don't keep the rotten ones.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom