thecarmiearmy

Songster
Sep 17, 2019
Nor. Cal
Hi guys, this is my Rooster, Bung. I'll explain the issue and then give you insight on Bung's general health.

Today I noticed that Bung's mainly putting weight on the backs of his feet while walking. Or like he's putting a lot of weight back on his hocks. It looks like all of his toes are curled in when he walks. Below I'm attaching before and after photos + videos. Sorry I didn't get a better video of his New messed up walking. While typing this I saw him walk a couple fast paced, and he was balling up his feet and struggling to walk/stand. Now I know there's definitely something wrong with him. I just don't know what.

Now, the before evidence is very important, because Bung already walks weird on (from his POV) the right foot. We got Bung from a feed store as a chick and raised him up. It wasn't until he was a pullet we noticed that he has a crooked toe. It didn't seem to be causing him pain when he walked, sat, or even when we gave it a squeeze. We thought maybe Bung broke a toe as a chick when he was cooped up with all the other chicks at the feed store, and it just healed wonky. There was a point in time we were giving him (I think) Vitamin A drops. Bung had a vitamin deficiency near the end of his pullet time because his appearance changed from hen to rooster, meaning he needed extra vitamins for growing out his saddle feathers, AND cause the deficiency was making him walk less (due to all his energy getting sapped.)
We gave Bung the vitamin drops for... give or take maybe 3 - 4 months. He perked up and was walking a lot better, too.

As far as I know Bung hasn't shown signs of Bumblefoot. Today I picked him up and squeezed each of his feet, testing to see if he was in pain. Now I'm not familiar with chicken pain tolerances, but he gave no reaction. One thing I did notice is when I tried to stretch his left leg (the new messed up foot) he resisted and would pull the leg back in. Don't know if that's just a natural reflex or something else. I unfortunately did not get to look at the bottom of his feet yet.

My first guess is that Bung needs to be put back on those vitamin drops. Other than that, I'm not sure. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or if you've seen something like this before, please leave a comment below. I'm just worried for my son. He's only 2-3 months away from being 1 year old.

----
Before Photos
20200212_151557.jpg

20200212_151602.jpg

Before Videos:
Video 1
Video 2

----
After Photos
20200226_102341.jpg
20200226_102345.jpg

After Video
Video 1

----
You can see how in the before video Bung was active and would walk around for a while before sitting down. That's totally normal, that's how be always is. But in the after video you can see that Bung struggles to stand and walk. He can barely make a few steps before having to sit down. I've been watching him for the past hour and he's moved around, but still in that same short pattern.

I'll update this thread with any new photos or videos I take of Bung's feet and walking habits, if they worsen. I'll also try to get another After video too, because in the first one you don't get a front view of how Bung's walking.

Thank you all so much. I plan on buying that Chicken Health For Dummies book and educating myself more.

UPDATE: 02/26/2020 16:53
Bung's newly deformed foot doesn't look as bad now. Toes aren't super curled in like they were this morning. Still walking in short intervals, but moving nonetheless. I fed him and the hens boiled eggs and a little kale. Bung seemed to perk up after having the egg, so I'm definitely feeling a lot better. I'm going out to pick up the Vitamin B Complex tablets too. Will keep updating as the days progress.

Last edited:
Get some human vitamin B complex—not B 12, but B complex tablets. Give him 1/4-1/2 tablet crushed daily on some food. He might have riboflavin deficiency which can cause curled under toes and sitting on hocks, and can lead to curled toe paralysis. He might also have a leg bone deformity, such as varus or valgus deformity on one leg. Here is some reading about riboflavin (B2) deficiency:
https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

You can make sure of how much he is getting giving it orally in a little egg moist cat food. They make a liquid b complex, but this tablet is inexpensive and buy one get one free at some stores.
1582759778161.jpeg

Hi to all watching the thread. Last night I bought Bung his Super Complex tablets. This morning I crushed 1/2 of a tablet and mixed it with a hard boiled egg. Got him to eat most, if not all of it! Will continue to do this and keep an eye on his feet. I'm feeling a little relieved. Pics below!

20200227_095755.jpg
20200227_095805.jpg
20200227_095819.jpg
20200227_101044.jpg

Back
Top Bottom