Rooster Keeps Attacking me!

I didn't talk nice to my GSL rooster and try to be his friend. I got him as a baby chick and he got no special treatment but he still turned mean. He came after my husband one day and I hit him so hard with a level I thought he would die and days later he got me from behind. Spurred both legs to the bone and it hurt. My husband took me to the ER (on a Saturday) for antibiotic shot and some pain meds. I wouldn't give away a rooster that's mean so he was culled. I was never afraid of him and thought I was the boss but he sure showed me. I can't speak for anyone else but I didn't want to be on constant guard for my safety each time I went in the run.

You did the right thing .. I remember as a kid (we had 3 pens of 4 different type chickens) my dad had a pen full of some fancy show chickens with the most beautiful looking rooster .. Mom and I hated that rooster ! He was so SO mean ! So we ate him. End of story for that bird. ! .
The rooster I have now is the friendliest big boy anyone could want. He waits patiently for any hand that reaches out for him, enjoys being held and carried .. hangs out with the cats and dogs .. the girls all love him and he keeps a good guard over them.
Eddie Munster: not sure how to attach a photo of our beautiful/handsome fellow or would.
There are a lot of good roosters out there ... don't give up

I hope you're right. When I purchased my RIR pullets from Ideal I ordered a BO rooster. So far he's been nice. We call him Mr. Buff. He's going on 9 months now and I've noticed that he pays a lot more attention to when I'm in the run than he did before. He warns us of a hawk and watches over the hens. I'm not sure why but his favorite hens are my EE's.

Years ago I had a big white rooster that was so nice, I was never afraid of him. He was sold to me as a hen and he looked and acted like a hen. Months went by and he started to change and act like a rooster. I don't even know what breed he was but he wasn't mean at all.

I'd love to see a picture of your rooster.

I've got a roo that is the nicest in the world; I have 4 other roos and he is in 3rd place. the only one that's below him is the same age as him and a silkie; and even then they still live in harmonious existance, he won't beat the other guy up. He won't run away from the other 2 (adult) roos; he just won't aggravate them by crowing or flapping. He loves people and I really hope he stays that way! (he's the sultan in my avatar)

I have two roosters, one is black and a real beauty, and as mean as he is pretty!  We got our chickens from Murray Mc Murray and he was the "special chick".  The kinder gentler roo is a RIR, but I'm concerned that if I get rid of the aggressive one the mild one might go mean in his place.  Has anyone seen this happen?  Its gotten to the point that my kids don't like to take care of the chickens anymore!  The funny thing is that the kids don't want me to, what is the kind word, cull the special chick.

go figure!  /img/smilies/barnie.gif
This just happened to me I had a Delaware roo who would chase and flog my children then he started sneaking up on me every time I went to feed them. I don't deal with aggressive roosters at all so I got rid of him. Then my favorite rooster who has never attacked me just attacked me today so yes I think that does happen once you get rid of the dominant mean Roo

This just happened to me I had a Delaware roo who would chase and flog my children then he started sneaking up on me every time I went to feed them. I don't deal with aggressive roosters at all so I got rid of him. Then my favorite rooster who has never attacked me just attacked me today so yes I think that does happen once you get rid of the dominant mean Roo
The same thing happen to me, got rid of the mean one and the nice one got mean.

That should tell you something, right there. Someone needs to be the dominant one and it shouldn't be the rooster. They don't "get mean", they are just doing what comes natural to a flock leader in their sexual prime. Early training on humans being the more dominant species will help you never have to have a mean rooster again. Ever.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

I acted like the dominant one and talked to him like I was and chased him back when he first started coming at me and he only got more aggressive.

This time around with my rooster I'm not talking to him, not paying any extra attention to him and so far he's not seen me as a threat. I'm not trying to take his place.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

I acted like the dominant one and talked to him like I was and chased him back when he first started coming at me and he only got more aggressive.

This time around with my rooster I'm not talking to him, not paying any extra attention to him and so far he's not seen me as a threat. I'm not trying to take his place.

The thing is, you don't need to "act like a dominant one" as if you were a rooster. It would benefit you more if you acted like a dominant specie, as a predator. Very rarely you'll ever see a rooster attacking a large predator and we are one...and they need to know it. They need to always be aware of us and try to avoid us, even if it's just a little bit....but they need to know that it's NEVER okay to approach us aggressively. Talking to a rooster won't do much....he doesn't speak our language. "Chasing him back" meant you were engaging in battle with him, that's why you got him more riled. Kicking, running, flailing, swatting, etc. right after or during an attack signifies to him that you are taking up his challenge.

You don't have to take his place as a flock master, but you do need to take his place as master over your land. And he needs to know it. All the animals on your land need to know it, from little to big, if one is to get from point A to B when doing chores on the land.

I don't know what to do either I hope someone can help us , because mine just started attacking me also, he was always so gentle and I always held him , but he bit me in the leg last week and came after me again today he is huge and the only way to get him off is with my foot but it doesn't seem to bother him

Back
Top Bottom