Rooster Keeps Attacking me!

I have a big problem with my rooster too, he was so sweet for a long time until now he chased me down my yard trying to attack me! My mom came out and helped though and it's bad because he had never done this before, all though I herd from my cousins that he attacked one of them, and there is also 3 little kids that love my roster so much they think he is the coolest so if they try to pet him he will now bite you wich will he hard for the little kids☹

Please help me.
:welcome
I'm sorry, but if he's attacking you, he's likely going to attack those little kids, too. Imagine how much damage he can do if he goes after them with his spurs. They'll be at the same level as his face. Please don't take a chance on a little child getting hurt. It's a huge liability - especially if they are visiting. Your parents could be liable for any medical bills caused by an infection from an injury from him. He's either going to have to be locked up when there are children around, moved on or put down.

Thank you, but we had to get rid of him already so he is gone and my hens are a bit happier although they are now to broody that no other chicken can go ne'er them.

What age is considered old age? Tough to get good info about roos because so many don’t live long enough to old age. That’s great yours did!
Oops sorry - I don't think I ever saw a notification.

They aged surprisingly fast. They were about 4 years old when they started slipping in rank (the BR - #2). The RIR (#1) managed to hold his position until he was past 5 but was REALLY slowing down and looking ragged. I'm not sure if that's really "old age" for a rooster, but we kept a flock of around 100 that divided themselves into anywhere from 3-6 flocks depending on the roosters we had and how they arranged themselves. Prime property was behind the house and the fenced area around the coop (the rabbits, compost, and some pasture was there). The goat pasture was usually a #3 rooster, lower ranking groups headed into the cow field, and so on. So anyway, the roosters were very active keeping their favorite girls enticed to them, patrolling their little territories, etc. No serious fighting between them because they seemed to have it all worked out. (I saw a small amount of blood - a bitten comb I think - once.) And they had to watch for predators. So those roos worked hard. I think maybe it wore them out more than if they'd had a coddled life. But they can actively be roos for that long at least.

If your rooster is already in habit of flogging you I'm not sure what you could do to calm him. Kicking is a not good.. I literally in another post told someone I pick my roosters up IF they are acting like testy teenagers and I have even put 1 rooster in a small dog kennel to cool him out like solitary. I have raised many roosters and thus far these things have worked, but I always do these things while they are maturing before they are fully grown and before the situation gets crazy. The biggest thing I do is make it obvious that I need my space respected. I very slowly and gently take my boot and force them to take a few steps back. I only had 2 roosters that wanted to stand right next to me.
Speed = danger.. no fox or coyote is gonna casually walk up to a rooster. Theres quick movements and fear. My roosters are not allowed to be so close unless they are eating out of my hand.
I fear it's too late for your rooster unless you try solitary and it depends on his age too. Sounds like he almost enjoys seeing you to fight at this point...

I'd be watchful in the case of solitary too.

But this may be a completely unrelated issue.

I had too many Roos at one point and there was one BO that just wasn't working out his territory well and wanted the top position. He was a very nice BO roo and I wanted him for breeding (with free range and different breeds we of course had lots of mutt chickens being hatched). But I put this BO roo into a large cage area of his own (though in retrospect it was probably a bad idea that I located him within the main chicken yard which was part of the prime territory).

He actually became MORE aggressive with confinement and took to killing chicks that got close to his cage (the mesh was open enough). I eventually ended up having to send him to freezer camp.

But it may be that it was my big stupid mistake in just HOW I isolated him. It was enough of a poor outcome that I'd just want to be aware to keep an eye on that possible solution in future though.

I'd be watchful in the case of solitary too.

But this may be a completely unrelated issue.

I had too many Roos at one point and there was one BO that just wasn't working out his territory well and wanted the top position. He was a very nice BO roo and I wanted him for breeding (with free range and different breeds we of course had lots of mutt chickens being hatched). But I put this BO roo into a large cage area of his own (though in retrospect it was probably a bad idea that I located him within the main chicken yard which was part of the prime territory).

He actually became MORE aggressive with confinement and took to killing chicks that got close to his cage (the mesh was open enough). I eventually ended up having to send him to freezer camp.

But it may be that it was my big stupid mistake in just HOW I isolated him. It was enough of a poor outcome that I'd just want to be aware to keep an eye on that possible solution in future though.
I did the solitary for a few hours. They are young birds and still and he was ok.. For sure I would be careful if you were doing this with an adult/fully matured bird.

I have been having the same problem with my rooster. When he's out and about with me sometimes he just randomly decides to attack! I can assure you, he is the sweetest rooster ever, but sometimes he just gets in these moods! He attacked my sibling's face the other day, but I can't bare to part with him. He's a cuddler and I raised him myself. Just recently when I was out he started attacking my legs! Claws, beak, whatever he could manage. I started hitting him with my flip-flop (which you would think would make him stop, but no) and he kept trying to get me. I actually went inside, grabbed a blanket and started chasing him with it. I threw it at him and he finally stopped. He's kind of scared of me now, which is great! Hopefully less attacking, I want my baby back.

Hopefully your sibling won’t gat an infection or be scarred for life (physically or emotionally). I don’t think this is over with him. I’m afraid he may just learn to be sneakier about it from now on. I’m surprised your parents are allowing him to stay after your sibling was attacked in the face. (Imagine what could have happened if they had been spurred in the eye!)

Is there a way to stop a rooster from attacking me? He jumps up and smashes his feet into my legs. It leaves huge bruises. If I had shorts on, it would gash my skin. He is a Polish Crested. Someone said to kick him and he'll stop. Ohhh, that made him worse! He found a sparring partner, he was happy! So I stopped, and now I just stand there and tell hin "NO!" But he sneaks up behind me....... We have a B&B, so I can't have him attacking the guests. If I don't find a solution, he is going to the Feed Store on Saturday to find a new home.
Do they all do this? I have 9 baby chicks right now, so I assume I'll have about 5 roosters out of that.
Same here with the a-hole rooster. I'm gonna get a lot of negative response here but I bring a small switch into the yard. When Charlie starts posturing I get ready and sure enough he does his martial arts kung fu stuff. Gotta give him credit he's very agile. I try to switch spank his butt. You know put a little sting on that Charlie rump. What made me angry is feeding him meal worms by hand then I get the kung fu from him. Are you kidding ur gonna take food from me then try to spur me. Already decided he's going in the crock pot after all the chicken feed he's consumed I'm gonna eat that guy. Put some carrots hot peppers and taters in with him

Maybe he thinks you're like a vending machine, couple of kicks might jiggle out another worm or two. :)
Same here with the a-hole rooster. I'm gonna get a lot of negative response here but I bring a small switch into the yard. When Charlie starts posturing I get ready and sure enough he does his martial arts kung fu stuff. Gotta give him credit he's very agile. I try to switch spank his butt. You know put a little sting on that Charlie rump. What made me angry is feeding him meal worms by hand then I get the kung fu from him. Are you kidding ur gonna take food from me then try to spur me. Already decided he's going in the crock pot after all the chicken feed he's consumed I'm gonna eat that guy. Put some carrots hot peppers and taters in with him

Back
Top Bottom