Rooster killed a squirrel!

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
I have been getting low returns from my hens the last week or so and DH was thinking a rodent of some sort was coming in and taking the eggs. I was skeptical not because I didn't think it could happen but I never found any sign of the eggs.

Well, I suspect he was right and it wasn't a mouse it was a squirrel.

The birds fre range in the afternoons when I am home. So their coop door was open. I hear a big commotion and tear out to defend my girls when I see the rooster doing a masterful job!
big_smile.png

He had this squirrel in both feet talons dug in deep. He flew up and threw the squirrel a couple of feet and as the squirrel tried to run away he flew up and landed on it again with both feet forward and digging!

He did that a couple more times until the squirrel stopped moving. I was impressed. I didn't think he had it in him!

Now that is one rooster that I want offspring from..
thumbsup.gif

I would bet a rat or mink would me mighty surprised to try to take a bite out of him..
gig.gif

I'll bet it was a red squirrel ?

just a hunch..

I have been getting low returns from my hens the last week or so and DH was thinking a rodent of some sort was coming in and taking the eggs. I was skeptical not because I didn't think it could happen but I never found any sign of the eggs.

Well, I suspect he was right and it wasn't a mouse it was a squirrel.

The birds fre range in the afternoons when I am home. So their coop door was open. I hear a big commotion and tear out to defend my girls when I see the rooster doing a masterful job!
big_smile.png

He had this squirrel in both feet talons dug in deep. He flew up and threw the squirrel a couple of feet and as the squirrel tried to run away he flew up and landed on it again with both feet forward and digging!

He did that a couple more times until the squirrel stopped moving. I was impressed. I didn't think he had it in him!
Wow my rooster just watches the squirrel eat out of the feeder 😳

holy cow! What kind of Ninja Roo Do you have??? I didn't know Squirels would eat eggs. You must have felt rather bizzare there for a moment trying to take it all in....what was happening, I mean. I would have been in AWE!
ep.gif

I have squirrels in my bird's building all the time and they do not touch the eggs. More likely the girls just had lower production during that timeframe. Squirrels are very smart and agile but eggs are awkward to carry and if eaten on the spot there would be shells.
Sad for the poor squirrel - wonder why the roo was so pi__ed off at him!
My roo sometimes does a little run after a squirrel - nothing serious - just to make them move! I think he has fun doing it. Then he's satisfied and goes back to whatever he was doing.
JJ

:)WOW! That is amazing! I think he deserves a treat!!
smile.png

When I was young we would visit my Grandmother in Boston, and the blue Jays would always attack the squirrels that were on the outside wires (my grandparents lived on the second floor). I asked my grandmother why the birds did that, and she told me it was because the squirrels stole the eggs. Sure enough I saw one running across the wires with an egg! So it does happen!!

Last edited:
Bravo Roo! it's neat knowing you have a rooster that's into pest control. I hate that squirrels eat eggs, I'm such a bird nut. I've seen one rolling an egg along the ground and burying it as though it were a nut. Very odd looking, a scene worth a double take.

Last edited:
Who would have thought? I can't beleive our squirels could eat eggs, well maybe the fox squirels, but not the small grey ones we have here. My girls have a good relationship with the squirels. They have learned the danger cries which is good because I don't have a roo. Unfortunately the squirels have learned that my girls leave a few sunflower seeds behind. I did have to chase one out of the coop once.

Back
Top Bottom