Rooster killed top hen in pecking order tonight!?!?!

jk_vt

Chirping
Feb 21, 2021
I see you are very new to chickens.

Do you feed treats daily or regularly?
Fatty Liver disease kills quick...without warning. I highly recommend getting a necropsy or at the very least opening up the bird yourself. You might be able to prevent more deaths.
I just not give them when we grill or cook out and have the leftover meat/fat

jk_vt

Chirping
Feb 21, 2021
Hey all thanks for all of the insight. Many of you said I should do a necropsy to know what exactly happened. Unfortunately I had already disposed of chicken so that is not an option. I guess I will never know but I will be keeping any eye on the rooster.

jk_vt

Chirping
Feb 21, 2021
Because she was flapping her wings hard which got the caretakers attention this doesn't appear to be a heart attack or sudden death situation.Why would his favorite hen be flapping her wings during mating?If he was actually mating her why weren't her wings pinned down?
Great point…… I have seen the girls try to avoid or even fight or elude the mating, but never the wings flapping?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Because she was flapping her wings hard which got the caretakers attention this doesn't appear to be a heart attack or sudden death situation.
Death throe flapping.
I had a bird die suddenly out in the run one morning while I was cleaning the coop.
I heard some squawking, then the flapping, which I recognized from dispatching numerous birds over the years.
I ran out and found my favorite hen dead on the ground and the rooster tugging at the dead birds comb and one hen pecking at the body.
Figured there was a ruckus and either a heart attack or she flew into the run wall and broke her neck.

LaFleche

Meadow Devil
9 Years
Sep 22, 2012
Germany
Often there will be wing flapping when a chicken dies, this is a natural reaction of the nervous system and does not indicate the rooster had anything to do with it.

A hen of unknown, but rather advanced age fed with chunks of fat and meat can easily choke. Or have a heart attack, or die of fatty liver disease etc. There are a lot of possibilities.

The rooster mating (trying to mate) her seems to be just a coincidence to me.

Nov 11, 2020
West Virginia
Death throe flapping.
I had a bird die suddenly out in the run one morning while I was cleaning the coop.
I heard some squawking, then the flapping, which I recognized from dispatching numerous birds over the years.
I ran out and found my favorite hen dead on the ground and the rooster tugging at the dead birds comb and one hen pecking at the body.
Figured there was a ruckus and either a heart attack or she flew into the run wall and broke her neck.
I don't think a rooster can breed without pinning the hens wings down.Thanks for the info!Good point!

Last edited:

Top Bottom