Rooster killed top hen in pecking order tonight!?!?!

I see you are very new to chickens.

Do you feed treats daily or regularly?
Fatty Liver disease kills quick...without warning. I highly recommend getting a necropsy or at the very least opening up the bird yourself. You might be able to prevent more deaths.
I just not give them when we grill or cook out and have the leftover meat/fat

Hey all thanks for all of the insight. Many of you said I should do a necropsy to know what exactly happened. Unfortunately I had already disposed of chicken so that is not an option. I guess I will never know but I will be keeping any eye on the rooster.

Because she was flapping her wings hard which got the caretakers attention this doesn't appear to be a heart attack or sudden death situation.Why would his favorite hen be flapping her wings during mating?If he was actually mating her why weren't her wings pinned down?
Great point…… I have seen the girls try to avoid or even fight or elude the mating, but never the wings flapping?

Because she was flapping her wings hard which got the caretakers attention this doesn't appear to be a heart attack or sudden death situation.
Death throe flapping.
I had a bird die suddenly out in the run one morning while I was cleaning the coop.
I heard some squawking, then the flapping, which I recognized from dispatching numerous birds over the years.
I ran out and found my favorite hen dead on the ground and the rooster tugging at the dead birds comb and one hen pecking at the body.
Figured there was a ruckus and either a heart attack or she flew into the run wall and broke her neck.

Often there will be wing flapping when a chicken dies, this is a natural reaction of the nervous system and does not indicate the rooster had anything to do with it.

A hen of unknown, but rather advanced age fed with chunks of fat and meat can easily choke. Or have a heart attack, or die of fatty liver disease etc. There are a lot of possibilities.

The rooster mating (trying to mate) her seems to be just a coincidence to me.

Death throe flapping.
I had a bird die suddenly out in the run one morning while I was cleaning the coop.
I heard some squawking, then the flapping, which I recognized from dispatching numerous birds over the years.
I ran out and found my favorite hen dead on the ground and the rooster tugging at the dead birds comb and one hen pecking at the body.
Figured there was a ruckus and either a heart attack or she flew into the run wall and broke her neck.
I don't think a rooster can breed without pinning the hens wings down.Thanks for the info!Good point!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom