Rooster killing hens

Lexi108

Chirping
Nov 20, 2017
Long story short, we have two flocks. Never had an issue with one, but the rooster in the other flock has killed three hens.
The first time was a few months ago. He killed one and we thought it may have been an accident but then he killed another one shortly after. So we isolated him for a while. We recently got new coops and figured maybe he could be integrated back into the flock of hens since we are finally in fall and it’s been a while. I also read a few things on here saying to isolate them and put them back to prevent killing. But one day later, he killed another and we have him back in isolation. The thing is, I barely ever see him mate with them. So I’m pretty sure he is doing it out of pure aggression. Maybe I’m wrong.

I’m just so torn up because he killed a hen that meant the world to me. I had to help her hatch and nurse her to health as a baby, I loved her so much. I feel like an idiot for putting him back in with them. It’ll NEVER happen again.
My question is, what do I do with him? I know it’s controversial but I can’t kill an animal. Not to mention, no one is going to want a rooster that is gonna take out their entire flock. Rooster fighting is also pretty common around here and even if I can’t stand him, I don’t want that life for him. Will he be okay living out the rest of his days alone?
I’m just so heartbroken over this whole situation. Thanks so much for any responses.

No matter how much I’m telling myself I hate him I still love him, yknow? Like I know he did awful things but it’s hard to just kick something to the curb that you’ve raised since it hatched.

I sort of understand that feeling, but I also like to eat chicken. I can raise a chicken, give it a name, give it a good life-- and then enjoy it at the dinner table. I feel that the chicken has a purpose that way, even if it's not suited to live happily with other chickens. (And every chicken I raise and eat, is one less chicken that gets raised by someone else in conditions I consider less good.)

I recognize that different people relate to chickens differently, and this may not be possible for you, so I'm just sharing a different perspective. For me, it's similar to raising tomatoes or lettuce and then feeling pleased and proud to eat them, except that chickens are MUCH more fun than plants while they are alive and growing :)

I am so sorry for the loss of your hens, I understand the terrible sense of remorse over your last one and this is true grief. I’m afraid living separate is his only option, if you can manage this for him he’s one lucky rooster x

Long story short, we have two flocks. Never had an issue with one, but the rooster in the other flock has killed three hens.
The first time was a few months ago. He killed one and we thought it may have been an accident but then he killed another one shortly after. So we isolated him for a while. We recently got new coops and figured maybe he could be integrated back into the flock of hens since we are finally in fall and it’s been a while. I also read a few things on here saying to isolate them and put them back to prevent killing. But one day later, he killed another and we have him back in isolation. The thing is, I barely ever see him mate with them. So I’m pretty sure he is doing it out of pure aggression. Maybe I’m wrong.

I’m just so torn up because he killed a hen that meant the world to me. I had to help her hatch and nurse her to health as a baby, I loved her so much. I feel like an idiot for putting him back in with them. It’ll NEVER happen again.
My question is, what do I do with him? I know it’s controversial but I can’t kill an animal. Not to mention, no one is going to want a rooster that is gonna take out their entire flock. Rooster fighting is also pretty common around here and even if I can’t stand him, I don’t want that life for him. Will he be okay living out the rest of his days alone?
I’m just so heartbroken over this whole situation. Thanks so much for any responses.
He's obviously the Hannibal Lechter of roosters. Maybe let him go in the wild somewhere...Let nature take its course. He'll probably kill a deer or fox and drag it home. There's no rehabilitating him and you definitely do not want to breed him...that disorder could carry to offspring.

I would put him on LSN or Craigslist or on a chicken group on FB (I belong to many) Just say Free Rooster and explain you are giving him away for killing 3 hens. I am sure someone would like to have him for dinner. My husband and I cannot kill our chickens, but would love to meet someone that could and we could share them as payment! We only get attached to the few that are VERY friendly!

Back
Top Bottom