Rooster knocked silly

May 31, 2022
Okay so today I was in the chicken coop and my one roosters flew from the top of the coop down to the sand floor but when he landed he landed sideways and then started flopping around. I picked him up and made sure of no broken legs, wings ECT and he was fine but when I set him down outside he was having issues with balance (like side stepping as if he was drunk) however he stayed on his feet never falling over! I stayed and kept an eye on him and eventually he seemed just fine! Has anyone else had this happen to them and what was this all about?

I once had a rooster who had a baseball wipped at his head. Definitely knocked him out for a while, and when he woke up he was a little loopy, but he was fine the next day. Chickens are resilient!
Thank you for replying! I figured I would hear back from a lot of people but your the only one who took the time to get back to me and I really do appreciate it more than you know! When I went out to put the chickens away in their coops this evening the same Roo was on top of the roof of the coop house and then he flew from that roof to the house roof and he has never done that before! I couldn't believe it! I got a ladder and got him down although I'm sure he could have gotten down on his own I still retrieved him due to this mornings incident.

Attachments

• IMG_20230427_201046386.jpg
    IMG_20230427_201046386.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230427_202709107.jpg
    IMG_20230427_202709107.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for replying! I figured I would hear back from a lot of people but your the only one who took the time to get back to me and I really do appreciate it more than you know! When I went out to put the chickens away in their coops this evening the same Roo was on top of the roof of the coop house and then he flew from that roof to the house roof and he has never done that before! I couldn't believe it! I got a ladder and got him down although I'm sure he could have gotten down on his own I still retrieved him due to this mornings incident.
Sure it's a chicken you're raising?:lau

I had a huge Black Jersey Giant/Blue Andalusian rooster who became very aggressive and would attack me relentlessly. One day, he charged me and I went to kick him; part of me said "careful, you might kill him!" but the other part said "I hope I do!" I uncorked an NFL-caliber, full-length kick that caught him squarely and sent him far enough that he'd have to pack a lunch for the walk back, if he survived the trip.

He did. He popped up immediately, stood solidly on his feet but was moving his head around in a jerky fashion as if he was trying to get 37 slightly different perspectives of the landscape.

He survived and thrived. He never attacked me or anyone else again but he was straight up hell on other roosters, cats, possums, etc. His eventual end came when he flew over a fence to attack my Siberian Husky/GSD Luna, aka Murder Dog. He intended to land on her spurs-first but she saw him coming; her parry and counter were to his mortal detriment. The next time his feet touched earth, he didn't know it.

Also, my accidentally corrective technique isn't recommended. It will fail 99.9% of the time and has a high likelihood of ending with a severely injured rooster. I hate unnecessary distress in animals and avoid it at all costs. He'd frustrated me for months and I was going to cull the bird that weekend anyway; I was fully prepared to start the process with a size-13 Wellie and finish it with a blade.

I did the same thing with a mean old SLW rooster we had when I was young. He ended up in clothes lining himself and got knocked out cold. I was afraid I killed him. But nope! I poured some water on him and he popped right back up and ran off never to try that again.

Back
Top Bottom