Rooster leg broken

Mustangkill

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
My dad let the chickens out to roam the yard but one of the roosters wouldn't go back in I was at work when he let them out I didn't care but he hit him with a stick and now he can't even move his leg I put a cover over his head and checked it but it seems like it's broken up by his hip he hops around on one leg is there anything to do for him he's about a year old

Welcome to BYC. Broken legs in roosters are very hard to heal, and the higher up in the thigh, it is even worse. You can try resting in in a cage with food and water for at least 2 weeks, and give him some B Complex vitamins in his water every day. Also you could try a chicken sling to keep him upright while resting the leg. Sorry about your rooster, and sorry that your dad felt like he had to do that. Here is a picture of chicken slings:

LL
LL
59765_pp.jpg

Last edited:
I had a hen with a broken leg this year. Right between the hock & hip. I made a sling out of an old t-shirt, put a loose splint on her with a popsicle stick & vet wrap. She stayed in that sling in an open caged dog crate for about a month. I fed her yogurt with comfrey & mealworms along with normal lay feed. I also put vitamins & electrolytes in her water. After the sling, it took about another month for her to learn to walk again. If you have a calm rooster, & the time & patience, it may heal. But roosters can be difficult to keep calm, & being at the hip it may be difficult to heal if he doesn't stay calm & quiet. Are you sure it's not dislocated?

I can move the leg and he can't even move it so not sure if it's dislocated might be I'll take a look today but he really don't like us messing with him he tries to hop away when we get close but I have ways of catching him but I'll make a sling up and put him in it and see how that works but first I'll check and see if it's dislocated

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom