Rooster limping

Flangel369

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2020
I have a Rhode Island Red rooster that is about 10 to 11 months old he was caged not allowed to Free range at his last home we got him home about a week and a half two weeks later we let him out with the girls I noticed that when he went to go catch the girls and he flew and landed wrong. I don't see no broken bones nothing feels out of place no mites on his legs no bubble foot but he's limping could there be something that I can't see this is my first time having a could there be something that I can't see this is my first time having a rooster and chickens thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200210_112147.jpg
    20200210_112147.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 11
I have a Rhode Island Red rooster that is about 10 to 11 months old he was caged not allowed to Free range at his last home we got him home about a week and a half two weeks later we let him out with the girls I noticed that when he went to go catch the girls and he flew and landed wrong. I don't see no broken bones nothing feels out of place no mites on his legs no bubble foot but he's limping could there be something that I can't see this is my first time having a could there be something that I can't see this is my first time having a rooster and chickens thanks in advance
Can you try to get a couple of close up pictures of his feet?
20200226_130347.jpg 20200226_130231.jpg 20200226_130246.jpg 20200226_130214.jpg 20200226_130343.jpg

It looks like his right leg is swollen but I have picked him up and i dont feel anything broke

When he flew and landed wrong, your rooster most likely sprained or pulled a tendon or ligament.
I've dealt with these types of injuries before and I can tell you that I've had good success with hens recovering from these injuries, but not so good with roosters.
These types of injuries take time to heal. He should be caged away from the flock and provided water and feed while caged. You can add vitamin B complex to his feed to eat. Crush a few tablets into powder and spread on top of his feed. The vitamin B complex might help speed up the healing process.

Keep him caged for 7 days, then remove him from the cage and see if there's improvement. If not, recage him for another 7 days and continue with the vitamin B complex in his feed. Take him out of the cage in another 7 days and see if there's improvement. If not, stop the vitamin B complex. Then you'll have some decisions to make. You can recage him until he heals, release him back with his hens, or cull him.

Caging birds with these types of injuries limits their movements as not to cause further injury, and giving time for it to heal properly. I've had birds caged anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months before they healed and were able to walk and run normally, mostly all hens.

However with roosters, even caged with their hens around them, or caged away from their hens, are too anxious and skittish being separated away from their hens. Therefore their leg injury never heals properly or even worsens. I've had a couple of roosters over the years heal properly, but they reinjured their leg somehow and I eventually had to cull them or donate them to the feed store.
Remember, time heals.

When he flew and landed wrong, your rooster most likely sprained or pulled a tendon or ligament.
I've dealt with these types of injuries before and I can tell you that I've had good success with hens recovering from these injuries, but not so good with roosters.
These types of injuries take time to heal. He should be caged away from the flock and provided water and feed while caged. You can add vitamin B complex to his feed to eat. Crush a few tablets into powder and spread on top of his feed. The vitamin B complex might help speed up the healing process.

Keep him caged for 7 days, then remove him from the cage and see if there's improvement. If not, recage him for another 7 days and continue with the vitamin B complex in his feed. Take him out of the cage in another 7 days and see if there's improvement. If not, stop the vitamin B complex. Then you'll have some decisions to make. You can recage him until he heals, release him back with his hens, or cull him.

Caging birds with these types of injuries limits their movements as not to cause further injury, and giving time for it to heal properly. I've had birds caged anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months before they healed and were able to walk and run normally, mostly all hens.

However with roosters, even caged with their hens around them, or caged away from their hens, are too anxious and skittish being separated away from their hens. Therefore their leg injury never heals properly or even worsens. I've had a couple of roosters over the years heal properly, but they reinjured their leg somehow and I eventually had to cull them or donate them to the feed store.
Remember, time heals.
He had his second B dose tonight. Thank you for the advice! We did a third exam and feel it's almost certainly a slipped tendon.

Back
Top Bottom