Rooster limping

d4v1d

Hatching
Sep 28, 2022
My rooster has been limping for the last two days. I inspected his feet for bumble foot, no sign of infection. He does not have scaley leg mites. I assume he landed funny or hurt his foot in the woods while free ranging. He is a barred rock at just over 20 weeks. Fairly large compared to the other roosters. I’d say second largest of four. He is very dominant and a good rooster. He is polite with the girls, shoos other roos away from hens when the others mount them, always looking for predators, let’s girls eat before he does, etc. He’s the best I have but now he is limping. He is still eating and moving around but at times has bad limp. He still protects girls from other roosters and runs to investigate when they alert. He’s growling at time and laying down but I assume he sees an aerial predator. Could be luring girls in for mating but I doubt it. Has anyone had a rooster get hurt? Did he recover? Can I stint his leg? Should I cage him until he heals? I don’t want him to lose his spot as Big Roo amongst the flock. Is he in pain? Should I just wait and see if he heals? When would you decide on whether culling him is better than suffering?

When he quits eating and lies down and refuses to walk, that will be when his pain has reached the point where he no longer can cope with it.

Meanwhile, look again very carefully at the entire length of his legs. Both of them. Examine well up into the thigh under the feathers. Look for any abrasions and greenish bruising.

Look at the toe nails. Often, a nail will get damaged and this can cause as much pain as a more serious injury.

My rooster has been limping for the last two days. I inspected his feet for bumble foot, no sign of infection. He does not have scaley leg mites. I assume he landed funny or hurt his foot in the woods while free ranging. He is a barred rock at just over 20 weeks. Fairly large compared to the other roosters. I’d say second largest of four. He is very dominant and a good rooster. He is polite with the girls, shoos other roos away from hens when the others mount them, always looking for predators, let’s girls eat before he does, etc. He’s the best I have but now he is limping. He is still eating and moving around but at times has bad limp. He still protects girls from other roosters and runs to investigate when they alert. He’s growling at time and laying down but I assume he sees an aerial predator. Could be luring girls in for mating but I doubt it. Has anyone had a rooster get hurt? Did he recover? Can I stint his leg? Should I cage him until he heals? I don’t want him to lose his spot as Big Roo amongst the flock. Is he in pain? Should I just wait and see if he heals? When would you decide on whether culling him is better than suffering?
I literally have the same issue with my rooster who is several weeks older than yours. This morning I found him limping and don’t know what to do. I inspected his legs and nails but see no overt signs of injury. I wonder if he fell … yesterday he was totally fine and running all around as usual.

Back
Top Bottom