Rooster lost half of upper beak

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
My roo has had a broken beak for a long time, but today the beak broke off. Do you think he will still be able to eat ok? What should I do?

Attachments

• IMG_20220422_192130.jpg
    IMG_20220422_192130.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20220422_192151.jpg
    IMG_20220422_192151.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220422_192155.jpg
    IMG_20220422_192155.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 41
My roo has had a broken beak for a long time, but today the beak broke off. Do you think he will still be able to eat ok? What should I do?
I have never had the problem so I do not know if he will be able to eat! By the looks of it I say no but... I have never had the problem! Also wipe him with a damp, soft washcloth to get the blood off.

Beaks grow from the base, so there is a chance of it growing back with time. Of course it will be sore for a while as it works on healing the end and regrowing the hard outer layer. It may or may not ever grow all the way back properly.

Do you think he will still be able to eat ok? What should I do?
Wet food that is nice and soft will be more comfortable for him than hard, dry bits.

Assuming he normally eats dry chicken food (pellets or crumbles), try adding water to a dish of that. Make it deep enough that he won't stub his beak on the bottom of the dish. Provide a fresh dish of it once or twice a day, and give the "old" dish to your other chickens to eat up (that way it never sits around long enough to get moldy or spoiled.)

I would probably keep him separate from other chickens for now, so they cannot pick at him, and so he can eat & sleep in peace. I don't know whether it would be better for him to see the other chickens (a pen next to theirs) or to be completely separate-- probably whichever option is convenient for you and helps him stay calm.

Beaks grow from the base, so there is a chance of it growing back with time. Of course it will be sore for a while as it works on healing the end and regrowing the hard outer layer. It may or may not ever grow all the way back properly.

Wet food that is nice and soft will be more comfortable for him than hard, dry bits.

Assuming he normally eats dry chicken food (pellets or crumbles), try adding water to a dish of that. Make it deep enough that he won't stub his beak on the bottom of the dish. Provide a fresh dish of it once or twice a day, and give the "old" dish to your other chickens to eat up (that way it never sits around long enough to get moldy or spoiled.)

I would probably keep him separate from other chickens for now, so they cannot pick at him, and so he can eat & sleep in peace. I don't know whether it would be better for him to see the other chickens (a pen next to theirs) or to be completely separate-- probably whichever option is convenient for you and helps him stay calm.
I'll try to get him to eat a mash, but he is a really picky eater.

I have him separated. He doesn't like other birds, and I already have another roo with my hens. This roo free ranges. He loves people though. He really loves being petted and doesn't mind being held.

In addition to @NatJ stated, in order to feed him, it must be a deep bowl. Use lukewarm water mixed with the feed and make it watery for him to eat, like a gruel. There are nerve endings exposed and cold water will be painful to the touch and he wont eat.
Add lukewarm water to the bowl during the day because feed absorbs the water and it will be painful without liquid.

He took a few bites of the mash this morning and then he was done. He doesn't really like to eat when I'm watching though. He didn't want to drink out of a bowl, but drank a lot out of a nipple waterer. This morning I noticed that he also ripped off one of his toenails.

He took a few bites of the mash this morning and then he was done. He doesn't really like to eat when I'm watching though. He didn't want to drink out of a bowl, but drank a lot out of a nipple waterer. This morning I noticed that he also ripped off one of his toenails.
Like I said, try wiping him off with a damp, soft washcloth. It will get the blood off of him so that you can see the problem better. Also put neosporin on his toe where it fell off. Same with the face. I'm rooting for him! Keep us updated on his health please!

Like I said, try wiping him off with a damp, soft washcloth. It will get the blood off of him so that you can see the problem better. Also put neosporin on his toe where it fell off. Same with the face. I'm rooting for him! Keep us updated on his health please!
I was able to get a lot of the blood off, but Oreo (the rooster) decided he was done. I soaked his feet in Epsom salt. I put on triple antibiotic cream and wrapped it. I tried to get some on his face, but couldn't hold him still, even with 2 people.

Oreo has eaten a lot since this morning. He's also preening his feathers a lot.

On the same foot that he lost the nail he has a big ugly scab. It doesn't look like bumblefoot, but it won't go away. It's been there for months. Is there anything I can do for that? I've tried Epsom salt, triple antibiotic cream, and banixx, but nothings worked.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_141406.jpg
    IMG_20220423_141406.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220410_185658.jpg
    IMG_20220410_185658.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220410_185746.jpg
    IMG_20220410_185746.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom