Rooster making a nest...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheepy-cheeps, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Cheepy-cheeps

Cheepy-cheeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Ocklawaha
    We were wondering if anyone had ever seen a rooster making a nest for his hens? A couple of our hens go into cages at night and to lay their eggs. A few weeks ago, and every time since, we watched in amazement as, after we put fresh hay in the cages our RIR roo hopped into the cage and started making "the bed." He was clucking away the whole time. Once finished, he came out to the door of the cage chattering to the hens and one of them hopped into the cage and went to investigate and fix it up a bit more. My grandmother and I laughed hard at the sight and were surprised when he kept it up. I found it very sweet, too. [​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    That is so sweet. What a nice rooster. Taking care of his ladies. What a Gentleman [​IMG]

3. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    I don't have a rooster so I can't say about the behavior, but I think it's very sweet. [​IMG]

4. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    None of my roosters have ever been in a nesting box. You have a real keeper there!

5. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Yes I have had a few of my roosters do that,it is cute to watch them do that

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I have a few that do that. It's really funny to see a monster boy squeeze himself into a tiny nestbox calling for the girls, telling them this is a good place to lay.

7. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Lol I've seen mine do that too, it's the funniest thing I've ever seen! He doesn't go in our nest boxes but when we let them out of the run we have an old cat carrier by the duck coop that my rooster will run right over to, make a nest for his girls inside, and sing away!

8. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    You have one awesome rooster there. Most of mine do it occasionally, but nearly as much as yours does. We get constant laughs out of the ridiculous places the roosters choose as nesting spots. The hens go to check the location out, but usually don't find them satisfactory, and leave. I used to have a gander who made nests too. [​IMG]

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    One of my roosters tried to get the hens to lay in a toolbox.

10. Swizzle

Swizzle New Egg

Dec 17, 2011
    My Orpington roo spent several minutes making a very nice nest for his ladies today! He hopped up into a fresh pile of hay and kicked and clucked and fussed until there was a nice round indentation, perfect for a hen. I hope the ladies agree and start laying. They appear to be taking a winter break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by