Rooster Mating Issues

Muddygurl

Chirping
Aug 23, 2020
Hey everyone! I have 17 Hens and 1 Rooster. He was a surprise freebie sent when I ordered Hens online in August. He’s beautiful! But he is always jumping from one hen to another and doesn’t leave them alone. Is there any way to get him to stop “mating.” I am not interested in breeding just for egg laying. Their egg laying was up to 17 a day. But has decreased. I assume he is stressing the hens out.

Unless you want to give him up, the only thing you can do is to pen him seperately. He can be penned next to the hens for company. Maybe when he matures he will be gentler with them.
Good luck!

You can’t stop him but it is normal. If you eat your eggs that is fine, but if you don’t eat your eggs then that matting makes it fertile. Also when the temp. changes, their laying will vary

He should settle down once he gets older. He is a year old now? Even 6 months from now he should improve. He has 17 hens to go after, if they aren't hurt by him and don't seem overly bothered by his attention then it might not be that much of an issue. Also, very common to not always get an egg a day, could be that issue isn't even related to him. Just make sure they have lots of places to escape to if they don't want his attention. Roosts in the run, hay bales, stumps, anything they can jump up on is a good idea.

He should settle down once he gets older. He is a year old now? Even 6 months from now he should improve. He has 17 hens to go after, if they aren't hurt by him and don't seem overly bothered by his attention then it might not be that much of an issue. Also, very common to not always get an egg a day, could be that issue isn't even related to him. Just make sure they have lots of places to escape to if they don't want his attention. Roosts in the run, hay bales, stumps, anything they can jump up on is a good idea.
Thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom