Rooster Mean to hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brooster, Oct 29, 2008.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    My BR rooster has been very mean to my hens. He just moved up in the pecking order above my Bantam Roo. He is tearing up my hes backs, heads, combs. And tonight in the coop he bit my silkies head and was just holding her and she was screaming. I almost killed him, it just made me so mad to see him do that to the sweet little thing.But i didnt, i like him but he is not worth it. If i throw him out of the coop in the yar, how cold of temperature can a hicken survive. if i throw him in a coop with food and water, with some protection do you think he will live. I dont want to make him freeze to death. We live in ohio, and it get into the teens often. He would make a good meal! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    If the bantam roo is less aggressive/mean to the girls you might want to make the BR soup or separate him. Is he a young roo? I have heard they are somewhat clumsy at first,lol.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He sounds like a bully to me. Chicken & dumplings..... I am so lucky with our roo. Not only is he mild and knows his place after a very mild reprimand, but he is a clutz and funny too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by