Rooster molting spangles?

sekeyslaks

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 25, 2014
My Buff Orpington/Silver partridge EE cross rooster is going through his first molt and his hackles are changing color!!:love I know that chickens often change their looks during molts so I'm not surprised but what I am surprised about is that he seems to be getting spangles on his hackles rather than a more Colombian look as I was expecting from his parentage. Would love it if someone could explain the genetics behind this.:pop Here are his before and after pictures to show the change!
iphone pics 008.JPG
iphone pics 062.JPG

Hunh. @nicalandia?

Spangling ain't hard. It's Pg and Ml combined with Db, all three of which are dominant genes. Db would come from the buff, Ml could come from the buff if he's black-tailed, and Pg could come from the buff if he's not black-tailed. Either Ml and Pg could come from the EE.

I'm just not sure that spangling can be delayed. Seems a bit odd to me.

Hunh. @nicalandia?

Spangling ain't hard. It's Pg and Ml combined with Db, all three of which are dominant genes. Db would come from the buff, Ml could come from the buff if he's black-tailed, and Pg could come from the buff if he's not black-tailed. Either Ml and Pg could come from the EE.

I'm just not sure that spangling can be delayed. Seems a bit odd to me.
Perhaps it isn't spangles then,I only called them that because it was the closest pattern I could describe them as. The feather's are a regular cream color with a black dot at the tip.

Perhaps it isn't spangles then,I only called them that because it was the closest pattern I could describe them as. The feather's are a regular cream color with a black dot at the tip.
I don't know either, and agree with your conclusion. That's why I tagged nicalandia. I've no personal experience with spots on chickens that weren't mottling.

Hunh. @nicalandia?

Neither Db, Ml nor Pg have been found in Self buff birds.

The bird in question is eWh/eb(Wheaten from Buff Orp, eb from EE), Co/co(Co from buff orp, co+ from EE), Pg/pg(pg+ from buff orp and Pg from EE), the combination of Pg and Co with perhaps a melanizer from EE(we dont know what most of them carry and pics are not posted of the EE parent) could lead to a pseudo barely noticeable spangling.

Neither Db, Ml nor Pg have been found in Self buff birds.

The bird in question is eWh/eb(Wheaten from Buff Orp, eb from EE), Co/co(Co from buff orp, co+ from EE), Pg/pg(pg+ from buff orp and Pg from EE), the combination of Pg and Co with perhaps a melanizer from EE(we dont know what most of them carry and pics are not posted of the EE parent) could lead to a pseudo barely noticeable spangling.
That is neat!:clap Here are pictures of his father and his suspected mothers though I am not completely certain. iphone pics 019.JPG iphone pics 026.JPG iphone pics 017.JPG

His mother is the hen with a pea comb since his comb couldn't have come from two single combed parents.
I was thinking you were absolutely right,but then I was thinking my single combed hen could still have pea combs in her ancestry if she is an EE?

Back
Top Bottom