Rooster needs help!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I also second giving the supplementation more time to work.
Good luck with him.
Hello. New member to BYC, thank you for accepting me! We started off with 7 chickens, 6 hens and one rooster about five years ago. Not sure if their actual age because they were given to us full grown. Over the years we’ve lost some due to predators or unknown causes. We are now down to one hen (Pumpkin) and our rooster (Mister). Over the last winter they became infested with lice/mites which we treated (several times now) with elector psp. Mister, during this time started have spasm like seizures. They start out with him lowering his head, spreading his wings then jerking his feet and head, at times very aggressively. Often ending up on his back. He’s losing his feathers, has a rash that I’ve been treating with neosporin and vetericyn spray. After hours of research it seems to me like it’s a vitamin b12 deficiency. He’s been given nutri- drench and rooster booster, scrambled eggs, beef liver, dark salad greens. I’ve been keeping him on the porch in a box with a heat lamp due to his feathers loss. Last night was the first night that I didn’t find him on his back every time I checked on him. He’s still having the fits throughout the day though. Is he improving or am I kidding myself? He also has a bumblefoot which I’m treating to treat but it’s difficult to soak him because of his spasms. My husband said we should have put him down weeks ago but I hate the thought of it being something that I just haven’t tried. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, he has a great appetite, drinking lots of water and poops seem to be normal. I just don’t feel like he’s dying, I feel like I’m failing him 💔😢 I have a video but don’t know how to upload it.
Hi, I use a tiny drop of cattle drench, applied to the chicken at base of neck, to prevent internal and external parasites on my chickens. But be very careful not to over do it. I have seen lambs have seizures because of excess (oral) drench.

I don’t know what his belly is supposed to look like. This picture was taken on Sunday and the red parts are a bit better.

Attachments

• BD945707-4C47-48C9-82FA-9DCE529017B4.jpeg
    BD945707-4C47-48C9-82FA-9DCE529017B4.jpeg
    654.7 KB · Views: 4
B12 is only one vitamin, and B complex has all of the b’s. I would give him human vitamin B complex which contains all of the b vitamins, along with a softgel of human vitamin E 400 IU daily for a couple of weeks. Those can help with neurological symptoms. What did your other chickens die from? Does he seem perfectly normal except when he has one of these seizures?

B12 is only one vitamin, and B complex has all of the b’s. I would give him human vitamin B complex which contains all of the b vitamins, along with a softgel of human vitamin E 400 IU daily for a couple of weeks. Those can help with neurological symptoms. What did your other chickens die from? Does he seem perfectly normal except when he has one of these seizures?
Yes for the most part he seems fine except those fits. His hen seems to motivate him to walk around! I believe one of our hens was egg bound, but I was brand new with chickens and had no idea what was happening😢 how long do you think it would take to see him improve with the complex b and E? He’s getting himself all beat up when he thrashed around, bruising his wings and hocks.

And also he has bumblefoot which is making it difficult for him to get around. But it’s difficult to soak him when he’s having fits, but it’s definitely something I would work on. I just know he’s tired. Am I wishing too much, or should I just give up? I honestly don’t know what to do😢

Back
Top Bottom