Rooster needs?

cowboysgirlfrnd

Chirping
Oct 25, 2015
I've decided it's time to separate my young rooster from the rest of my flock. My hens have stopped laying as he goes marauding around, and it's stressful for everybody (mostly me). I got an XXL dog crate from a friend, the kind with wire mesh walls all around and a solid floor. It is 4'x2.5' so I think it will be big enough for the one bird. I have extra panels that my husband made when my chicks were younger that I can add on for extra space if he needs it.

I know he will need some way to get out of the sun, and a place to sleep. I'm thinking of building a little A frame with a roosting bar in it, and to put a tarp over part of the crate he has some shade. Is there anything else he needs in a home (aside from food and water)? Does he need somewhere more enclosed to sleep? It's not cold at night, but he has been sleeping in the hen house so far which is fully enclosed except for the pop door and a small window. How high should his roosting bar be?

Thanks for any advice!

How many hens do you have? Do you have any other roosters? How long have you had him? If he isn't a good rooster, don't bother keeping him. I think you should get more hens, sell him, give him away or trade for another rooster or hen. There are lots of good roosters out there that you could get.

Now to answer your questions, the roosting bar should be at least a foot of the bottom. I don't think he will need a separate place to sleep. The more space the better. Is this going to be a permanent arrangement? Hope all works out for you!
smile.png

I have 9 pullets and 6 hens that are about three years old, I think. He is my only rooster now, I gave away the other rooster I had. He's 15 weeks old and I've had him since he was a week old. I think he is just going through a hormonal rush as he matures, and I wanted to give my laying hens a break from him. I plan to keep him until he is either a nicer rooster with better control of his hormones, or big enough to eat. He has been in his cage for a couple of days now and seems to be doing ok.

Back
Top Bottom