Rooster not acting normal- help!

finnegan4

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
Not sure what is going on with him. He is usually always loud and out and about. The last two days he is staying in the coop, laying beside one of the hens or just being by himself. Sleeping a lot, looks like he doesn't feel well. Not moving a lot which is making me nervous that he might be really sick. I have 8 hens as well. Any thoughts? Generally is he pretty mean and protective, but will let me feed him bread and crumbs. Right now I cant get close because be is secluding himself and acting scared of me, when its usually the other way around! He is usually very vibrant!! I have seen some yellowish poops from where he is laying which is unusual as well. Any thoughts?

Not sure what is going on with him. He is usually always loud and out and about. The last two days he is staying in the coop, laying beside one of the hens or just being by himself. Sleeping a lot, looks like he doesn't feel well. Not moving a lot which is making me nervous that he might be really sick. I have 8 hens as well. Any thoughts? Generally is he pretty mean and protective, but will let me feed him bread and crumbs. Right now I cant get close because be is secluding himself and acting scared of me, when its usually the other way around! He is usually very vibrant!! I have seen some yellowish poops from where he is laying which is unusual as well. Any thoughts?

Something is wrong,trick is to find out what. Check him for wounds/lice/mites/worms. He is probably not eating/drinking properly.

It seems like something is defnitely wrong. As ten chicks said, check him for parasites and think about deworming. Look for mites and lice around his vent, under his neck and tail feathers, and beneath his wings. If you see any moving black or brownish specks, treat with either Sevin Dust or a mite spray like Poultry Protector. Lethargy is one sign of worms, so I advise worming him with either Safeguard or Valbazen (Safeguard would probably be better, as it is less hard on the bird).

I would isolate him from the other birds. This way, you can watch him closely, and there is a lesser chance of him infecting the other birds. Give him some electrolytes and probiotics, and make sure that he is eating enough. Give him some scrambled egg, egg yolk, applesauce, or yogurt, if he isn't eating much to tempt him. Moistened chicken feed is also a good idea.

How old is he? Another disease that can cause lethargy and sleepiness is Coccidiosis. It usually affects young birds (under six months), so if your bird is older, its less likely. However, it is still possible. The treatment for Coccidiosis would be Corid, either powder or liquid.

Hope this helps!

It seems like something is defnitely wrong. As ten chicks said, check him for parasites and think about deworming. Look for mites and lice around his vent, under his neck and tail feathers, and beneath his wings. If you see any moving black or brownish specks, treat with either Sevin Dust or a mite spray like Poultry Protector. Lethargy is one sign of worms, so I advise worming him with either Safeguard or Valbazen (Safeguard would probably be better, as it is less hard on the bird).

I would isolate him from the other birds. This way, you can watch him closely, and there is a lesser chance of him infecting the other birds. Give him some electrolytes and probiotics, and make sure that he is eating enough. Give him some scrambled egg, egg yolk, applesauce, or yogurt, if he isn't eating much to tempt him. Moistened chicken feed is also a good idea.

How old is he? Another disease that can cause lethargy and sleepiness is Coccidiosis. It usually affects young birds (under six months), so if your bird is older, its less likely. However, it is still possible. The treatment for Coccidiosis would be Corid, either powder or liquid.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! He did come out a bit tonight but still not like usual. He is feisty! And I tried to feed him water and a bagel (his fav!) and he didn't budge. Thinking it may be the works thing- will check and treat tomorrow!!! Thanks so much!

How skinny is he?  Did the heat stress him?
He is not skinny- a big beautiful rooster!
he's awesome so hopefully he will be ok!! Thx so much!!

Back
Top Bottom