Rooster not crowing

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
Not sure if this should be here or in emergencies....
I don't know if this was happening yesterday as I was at work all day. Today Roopecca is not crowing. I thought it was odd he wasn't greeting the morning but he appeared fine. Later in the morning I took some apple bits to the flock. He still seemed ok, enjoying pecking away at a chunk of apple. He is molting. He was 1 year old on October first. Do roosters stop crowing because of molting? Do they stop in the same manner as hens stop laying in winter? Should I be concerned? What should I be looking for?

When my roosters molt they generally are out of the breeding game so they don't generally crow or do any behaviors that indicate they are in breeding conditions. During winter, and under decreasing light my roosters mellow and they don't play the same role that they do during the breeding season. So yes it is normal. If he's eating, drinking, and scratching I wouldn't worry.

When my roosters molt they generally are out of the breeding game so they don't generally crow or do any behaviors that indicate they are in breeding conditions. During winter, and under decreasing light my roosters mellow and they don't play the same role that they do during the breeding season. So yes it is normal. If he's eating, drinking, and scratching I wouldn't worry.
Thank you! I found out from my daughter that he didn't crow yesterday either. I picked him up, felt his crop, checked his feet, looked in his mouth. All seems fine other than him shivering as I held him. I thought maybe he was nervous since I rarely pick him up. I am glad to hear this is normal.

Just keep an eye on him. A few of mine shiver a bit when it's colder, but it isn't anything to worry about either unless it's excessive. Molting and cold are both stressful so keep an eye out for unwell behaviors. Most of mine make it through the molt without serious problems.

Back
Top Bottom