Rooster not recovering from lice

Not sure what a fecal float is but will look it up. Thank you -update, it looks like you need to get set up with a microscope to see any parasite eggs. This will take us a while to get set up. It also looks difficult to actually spot and identify the parasites. Are there any other ways to test for internal parasites?

Calling around you may be able to find a vet that is willing to run a fecal float. They do run about $50. Any vet that treats dogs and cats CAN do it. It is just most won't. It takes a lot of looking to find one that will.

Looks the same this morning. My husband forgot to check his crop this morning and he has already eaten. Pecking at food a little bit but mostly just standing still. Poop looks runny green and white.

Attachments

• 2275DB7A-D0D1-421F-B673-1F4E063C2201.jpeg
    2275DB7A-D0D1-421F-B673-1F4E063C2201.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 490E9ACE-A64C-4F34-B75D-8C7F6D4E9267.jpeg
    490E9ACE-A64C-4F34-B75D-8C7F6D4E9267.jpeg
    817.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 4E3583E9-5B2A-4645-8B3D-AC772B17E8EA.jpeg
    4E3583E9-5B2A-4645-8B3D-AC772B17E8EA.jpeg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 4
But we have had roosters for years that are fine with the feed. Seems odd just this one would have trouble. Regardless, we have changed his food to chick starter as suggested earlier in this thread. Is there something else to do to help with calcium imbalance (if that’s what you think the problem is from layer feed?)
Oh, Well, OK.
Hard to say just what the problem is, some birds are just not as thrifty as others.

Looks the same this morning. My husband forgot to check his crop this morning and he has already eaten. Pecking at food a little bit but mostly just standing still. Poop looks runny green and white.
If I were you I’d give him probiotics to fix his guts. That most likely the issue. When their immune system gets weak common bacteria can really cause issues. An antibiotic like La 200 is better but yogurt and bread or vitamins with probiotics should help.

I have these options in my poultry care kit. Any suggestions? Or just keep on with clean chick food and water?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 3
I have these options in my poultry care kit. Any suggestions? Or just keep on with clean chick food and water?
I would mix the electrolytes and probiotics into a gallon of water just for him and give him nothing but shredded bread and yogurt mixed together for a few days. No other feed. See if it helps any.

Back
Top Bottom