Rooster not recovering from lice

This^^^ would be good to know.
What treatment?
Right sorry forgot to mention that - we used gardstar garden and poultry dust. The lice started falling off the birds almost immediately

Attachments

• 24D15D7D-FF52-4636-BE7F-2121C5D62ECF.jpeg
    24D15D7D-FF52-4636-BE7F-2121C5D62ECF.jpeg
    736.3 KB · Views: 9
Also, yesterday was day six since the initial treatment so we sprayed his vent with elector psp to try and get the lice eggs.

I would cut that out, or give him separate water that is plain.
What is his regular feed,(brand, model, protein and calcium percentages)?
Regular feed is dumor layer crumble, sorry I am so slow to get all the answers to you guys! Working full time with a newborn baby too so trying to get this in when I can. I need to take a picture or food label to get percentages.

rooster looked about the same this morning. eats and drinks when we first let him out but runs out of energy pretty quick.Doesn’t look worse, doesn’t look better

Layer feed is not great for males. too much calcium.....and juveniles need more protein. How old is this bird and has he always eaten layer feed?
Oh interesting. He is typically mixed in with our hens so I’m not sure how I’d get him different feed. He was born here and grew up with the hens so went from chick starter, to grower, to layer feed with the hens. He is about 4 months old

Oh interesting. He is typically mixed in with our hens so I’m not sure how I’d get him different feed. He was born here and grew up with the hens so went from chick starter, to grower, to layer feed with the hens. He is about 4 months old
Many people feed an 'all flock' type feed with Oyster Shell in a separate feeder for the active layers.

I'm assuming you mean ACV (Active Cider Vinegar).
Not any great benefit, despite all the claims, and can cause issues.
That’s correct, Apple Cider Vinegar. It’s just odd that this one rooster is acting off. All other birds (including two other juvenile roosters) are acting fine. We also have had a rooster since the beginning who was healthy for years before a coyote took him. We’ve always put just a dash of either APC or poultry cell Liquid vitamins in the water. I know this rooster got really down in weight before we found and treated lice. I should have mentioned that We actually treated with Corid for five days before the lice treatment because we thought it might be Coccidiosis. We are not getting the right amount of eggs from the hens and some hens look like they’re going through bad molting. When the rooster didn’t get better after the five day treatment that’s when I looked closer at his body and found the lice at his vent. By that time he was already pretty weak. When I bathed him he laid on his side in a bin while we syringe fed him just water and poultry cell for a day. The next day he was standing on his own and eating very little on his own. For the past two days we have had him with the flock at night and separate him during the day to make sure he is near fresh water and food without having to contest for it. Still just seems like he’s not getting better as fast as he should.

So rooster is worse today. Still eats meal worms when we throw them in front of him but looks like balance is off and isn’t eating or drinking regularly. Still very weak. Any ideas? I’m completely out of things to try. Breaking my heart

Back
Top Bottom