Rooster not walking right

So I think he's starting to do better. He's throwing his leg back, but it doesn't seem to be as dramatic now. He doesn't really stumble forward. He's also not limping, and his walking seems to be more fluid. He is also running much better.

I've been applying iodine and neosporin to the scab on his problem leg, which doesn't look too different. It looks like there may be some healthy skin in the center though.

The scab on the foot hasn't changed a whole lot. Up until recently I was soaking in epsome salts for 20-30 minutes, then applying iodine and neosprine, then wrapping. That had softened it up a bit. But with the drop in temperature I stopped soaking.

Here in Missouri we're going to be getting snow late tomorrow night and the temps are supposed to get reeaally low, so I'm going to take off the bandaging and stop treatment until it warms up. I don't want his bandaging getting wet from the snow, then freezing from the cold.

I also had a possum attack tonight, which they all survived lol

Last update. With the deep cold snap I ceased all treatment until it warmed up. The cold resulted in him getting frostbite pretty good on his comb and especially wattles. Because of his painful frostbite I stopped treatment until further notice, since I had to go back to college. I simply had no time.

While I separated him for his frostbite I checked his feet for frostbite, which there was none. However, his problem leg started to look a little dull in color. This worried me, but there wasn't anything I could really do.

I came home today and two of his toes were dying. I don't suspect frostbite but it is possible I suppose if he got it while I was away and I wasn't there to see it. I'm not sure if it's been cold enough here after that cold snap. What I believe happened was his unknown injury caused him to lose circulation, or something like that.

I culled my boy this evening. I had no time to make him comfortable for him to heal, and even then I doubt he would've healed if it was due to another injury to his leg. Biggie was a good roo.

Back
Top Bottom