Rooster, Now what?

orangescribblehead

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 9, 2011
sad.png
1st time chicken owners, and our 10 week old Amercauna is definitely a rooster. We can't keep a rooster, my (human) kids are "sensitive" to what we can do. Any suggestions? A beautiful, sweet boy... so sad.

I posted at my feed store,I called a breeder and asked if she knew any one (I bragged on him) she just told me she would take him, took me a month. Also here there may be someone close to you who would give him a good home, post pics.
hu.gif

where do you live? believe it or not i'm gonna be looking for a nice new rooster to keep one of my "outcast" hens company since my boy darkflight passed this morning. is he pure ameracauna or an EE (easter egger)?

i bought 6 EE's (still kind of irked that TSC labels them as Ameracaunas, when they are a mixed; not that they're bad, or anything, just when you think you're buying a purebreed, because they are labeled as such.....) but all but 1 were roosters
roll.png

there is one that my 6yo daughter will absolutely, 100% not let me sell, kill or trade, but i put an add on craigslist to trade or sell. i listed them for 10 bucks each (i've got more feed than that in each one), which is probably a bit high, but i would rather trade for some EE hens. if no takers, no big deal, we'll bring them to supper one at a time (except for fluffy cheeks) and then next year i'll incubate some eggs from my hen and fluffy cheeks.

i also bought 6 black australorps and got a better turnout of hens with them, but still have 2-3 roosters. out of my 4 cochins, only 1 is a rooster.

she is attached to all of them, but especially fluffy, so she is willing to let me trade the others. she won't know they're going to the dinner table, even though she keeps telling them they'll all be good eatin'
tongue.png
as the time gets closer, she is getting more protective of them all (except one - meanie).

i can't imagine if the only chicken i had was a rooster. as it is, i'm keeping a rooster i didn't want to keep, because of my little girl. i wanted to keep the cochin

Quote:
Hey tinychicky, if you don't mind an EE, I've got a strapping young lad I need to rehome. Only if your coop is far from your bedroom. He wakes up at 3:30 each morning.

welcome-byc.gif
orangescribblehead

You could post him on craigslist, or see if your local animal shelter could take him in. You might even be able to find a local livestock rescue that could take him.

Last edited:
You guys make me smile... I live in Northern California, I'm thinking New Hampshire is a bit far.

I called the local feed store and he gave me some good advice, so I'm feeling better. But if any Northern/Central CA folk are interested...
tongue.png

Thank for your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom