Rooster on the verge of death PLEASE HELP!

Tiffanybpaul

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2023
I have a sick rooster. I’m not sure how old he is, he’s a rescue and we’ve had him for a couple of months.

Five days ago we noticed he was standing still, fluffed up, with his neck pulled all the way in and tail down.

I immediately quarantined him. No injuries or wounds, crop feels fine, rump is clean. He does not crow or make any sounds. He won’t eat or drink on his own, but will take a small amount of solid foods if I hand feed him. We’ve been hand feeding and watering him several times a day, treating with corid and electrolytes. He keeps his neck pulled in at all times, but it can come out if I gently stretch it. It doesn’t seem to hurt him when I do that. He mostly stays quite still but he can walk. I’ve seen him fall over a couple of times.

Inside of his mouth look a fine.

I don’t think he’s pooped the whole time we’ve had him in quarantine.

He does have a hard lump on his neck, smaller than a ping pong ball and directly under his wattle. He sometimes seems to have trouble swallowing so I wonder if it’s. A tumor or something. I will try to upload a video of that.

He had some black spots on his comb, but they have gone away, otherwise his condition has not improved in five days.

Does anyone have ideas for last ditch efforts I could try? This little roo is just so sweet, I’d hate to lose him. Appreciate any thoughts y’all have!

I believe this link will take you to the video.

Last edited:
I should mention too that there are no respiratory issues, breathing sounds normal, no drainage, etc.

I think that’s everything. He’s really got me stumped, I would be so thankful for any ideas!

I am so sorry for your loss.
And that you did not get any responses to your post. I believe you did what anyone else would have done.

Thanks…I never got any responses and we lost him. Poor guy.
Very Heartbreaking💔obviously, and for more than one reason too! I am so sorry you didn’t receive any feedback when you reached out. I’ve had that happen to me before and it wasn't any Fun! — Since then, I really try to check on those msgs w/o replies whenever I get the extra time…

Did you get a State Necropsy to see exactly what it was??? 🤔🧐🤨

Back
Top Bottom