Rooster or hen (d'uccles)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smallcitychick, May 23, 2011.

1. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    Alright, I got these little guys from the assorted bantam bin. They're about 6 1/2 weeks old right now. My best guess is that they're millie fluer d'uccle. Neither one has good white spots though [​IMG]
    First one Crystal (I think there's a possibility that she's a hen, her comb is lighter in color than the other):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then #2 is Chocolate and the one that I really suspect is a rooster (my 2 year old named him/her [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hmmmm, I might have to go take some side by side pictures because in these pictures they look pretty close to similiar. Really Chocolate's comb does look more red than Crystal's.
    What do you think, both roosters? Any possibilities that one might be a hen?

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Hmmmm, right now, I'm leaning towards both roos. Sorry. [​IMG] On the upside, the lack of speckling at this age is normal. They'll develop their speckling as they get older. D'Uccles are lovely birds.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    pic one is a pullet, pic two is a roo. the white tips get more visible with each molt so don't be surprised that they don't have them now. they usually don't.

4. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    I might be persuaded to keep 1 rooster (for my kids to show at the County fair) since they're bantam and my kids are in love with them. I had a bad experience last season with a really mean easter egger rooster that gave my neighbors 18 month old a gash on his cheek that needed stitches [​IMG] So I'm not sure if I want to keep any at all....but maybe 1 bantam might be ok. If they're both roos they'll have to go. [​IMG]
    Good to know about the spots though, thank you!

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Both roosters, Mille Fleur D'Uccle. Sorry. [​IMG]

6. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    u should just keep it if it is really roosters which looks like roosters but they r really nice compared to other breed's roosters

7. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    both roos but yes their feathering will get better as they age.

8. cecilia1959

cecilia1959 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2010
    I say they are roos. Sorry

9. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Do they have feathering on their legs?

I have a trio of them and they are very nice and super friendly, definitely some of my favorite birds. The hens are great layers too.

Here's a couple pics of them.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chicks are super cute too!

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  10. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I'm saying roos for both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by