1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster or Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rainy day, Jan 19, 2016.

1. rainy day

rainy day Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Arizona
    So my hens wanted to sit on the eggs so I thought what the heck. About three weeks or so later There was two baby chicks. One later died. Now I have noticed that the others are starting to chase the new one away. So I am wondering if its a rooster? I don't know how to tell? So I'm asking for help here and any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Briggadane

Briggadane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Undoubtedly a rooster. Is he not crowing yet?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The bird in your profile pic? Yeah, that's a rooster. Males are usually bright red in the comb by 10 weeks old. He's also got male specific coloring, with dark red on the shoulders/wings and a solid black chest. Then there are the long, flowing, Fabio-style neck feathers, and the long, thin back feathers. Those are called hackle and saddle feathers, and are specific to males.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I agree.

5. rainy day

rainy day Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Arizona
    You guys are all way to smart. No he's not cowing yet. He does look like the rooster. Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by