Rooster or Hen

rainy day

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
Arizona
So my hens wanted to sit on the eggs so I thought what the heck. About three weeks or so later There was two baby chicks. One later died. Now I have noticed that the others are starting to chase the new one away. So I am wondering if its a rooster? I don't know how to tell? So I'm asking for help here and any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bird in your profile pic? Yeah, that's a rooster. Males are usually bright red in the comb by 10 weeks old. He's also got male specific coloring, with dark red on the shoulders/wings and a solid black chest. Then there are the long, flowing, Fabio-style neck feathers, and the long, thin back feathers. Those are called hackle and saddle feathers, and are specific to males.

The bird in your profile pic? Yeah, that's a rooster. Males are usually bright red in the comb by 10 weeks old. He's also got male specific coloring, with dark red on the shoulders/wings and a solid black chest. Then there are the long, flowing, Fabio-style neck feathers, and the long, thin back feathers. Those are called hackle and saddle feathers, and are specific to males.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom