Rooster or hen?

free range by day

Songster
5 Years
Jan 2, 2019
Hi! I have two Easter eggers that we hatched 19 weeks ago. One is clearly a rooster, and the other, up until the past couple of days I swore was a hen. The rooster grew much faster and bigger than the other, but could she just be growing more slowly and is actually a rooster ? The hatches the same day. The bigger one of the two in the pick is the roo. The pic of the single chicken is the one in question. Thanks!

Attachments

• 8195C66E-73A1-4F9B-977A-FF9181ED3B16.jpeg
    8195C66E-73A1-4F9B-977A-FF9181ED3B16.jpeg
    745.6 KB · Views: 143
  • A1889C19-F0A2-4F39-ADE5-5F1D08EBCD49.jpeg
    A1889C19-F0A2-4F39-ADE5-5F1D08EBCD49.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Oh boy! What stands out with the smaller one that makes you say it’s a roo too?
Well, I think his comb and wattles are too big and red, his patterning is uneven, and I think I'm seeing male specific feathering. He's probably a late bloomer.
Could you get some closer pictures?

Well, I think his comb and wattles are too big and red, his patterning is uneven, and I think I'm seeing male specific feathering. He's probably a late bloomer.
Could you get some closer pictures?
I was wondering on the color, it does seem male, but at 19 weeks I would expect to see the pointy saddle feathers, but you are right, it could be a late bloomer. Mine have all been early bloomers so far, 12 weeks and popping pointy saddle feathers 😳

I was wondering on the color, it does seem male, but at 19 weeks I would expect to see the pointy saddle feathers, but you are right, it could be a late bloomer. Mine have all been early bloomers so far, 12 weeks and popping pointy saddle feathers 😳
This is what I was disappointed to notice the past couple days. Their coloring is the same, except for the bigger one has red feathering on his neck . The smaller one is much smaller ( always has been very small compared to the other) even though from same clutch and same hatch day, the smaller one is much smaller but I’ve noticed the legs getting longer , like a roo.
I really want a girl lol.

Back
Top Bottom