Rooster or Hen?

Orpie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Georgia
Birds are maturing and are at about 22-24 weeks. Think I may have a rooster. What are some signs to look for to be able to tell?

Birds are maturing and are at about 22-24 weeks. Think I may have a rooster. What are some signs to look for to be able to tell?

What makes you think you have a rooster? Did you hear a crow?
What breed?
For *most* breeds at that age the gender should be pretty apparent with cockerels showing long, flowing, pointy saddle and hackle feathering while the pullets have nice, short, rounded feathering overall. Also, cockerels at that age will generally have the trademark sickle tail feathering (again depends on breed). For some breeds it can be as easy as color/pattern differences.
And, at 22-24 weeks of age you are pretty much at the point where "crow or lay" will be a definitive answer for you in the days/weeks ahead.

You can post photos of your flock and we can help you out.

What makes you think you have a rooster?  Did you hear a crow? 

What breed?  

For *most* breeds at that age the gender should be pretty apparent with cockerels showing long, flowing, pointy saddle and hackle feathering while the pullets have nice, short, rounded feathering overall.  Also, cockerels at that age will generally have the trademark sickle tail feathering (again depends on breed).    For some breeds it can be as easy as color/pattern differences. 
And, at 22-24 weeks of age you are pretty much at the point where "crow or lay" will be a definitive answer for you in the days/weeks ahead.

Haven't heard a crow. Breed is Buff Orpington. Reason I believe it a HE. Is that it's comb is different than the others. They all seem to have pointyish plumage. It's behavior is also somewhat aggressive, bowing up to the other chickens and strIghting out its feathers often. I am new to chicks and really don't know what I'm dealing with. Will try and post pics.

I took a look through the pictures in your profile and there are a couple that raise my suspicion on what was able to be seen in the shots there - so I do hope you are able to come back and post some nice, clear shots of each bird.

I took a look through the pictures in your profile and there are a couple that raise my suspicion on what was able to be seen in the shots there - so I do hope you are able to come back and post some nice, clear shots of each bird. 

Will do today. Thanks for ur help!!!

Will do today. Thanks for ur help!!!

Well... Here's the suspect

As I said, I'm new to this and not sure. Here's some more.

See how big his comb is compared to the others? My daughter says it looks "manly" :)

Here's the group from other angles.

So what do yawl think? Do I have a rooster in the bunch? My RIR are all good. Not concerned about those girls, but this Buff Orp... Not sure.

What makes you think you have a rooster?  Did you hear a crow? 

What breed?  

For *most* breeds at that age the gender should be pretty apparent with cockerels showing long, flowing, pointy saddle and hackle feathering while the pullets have nice, short, rounded feathering overall.  Also, cockerels at that age will generally have the trademark sickle tail feathering (again depends on breed).    For some breeds it can be as easy as color/pattern differences. 

Photos now posted on the thread.

Back
Top Bottom