Rooster or No Rooster?

jwankowski

Chirping
Jun 23, 2019
I had an earlier flock without a rooster, then add some chickens and a rooster, Under both circumstances my flock did fine and produced eggs. I lost my flock to some wild dogs and have rebuilt my flock from new chicks, I'm trying to decide if I should get a rooster or not. My new chickens are now 15 weeks old. Your thoughts please.

An all hen flock is often a pleasant flock to have. But I do like having a rooster. I do have sufficient space. But a rooster does change the flock's dynamics. I like that, I am not really into chickens as pets, I just like to have a flock.

It is about personal choice. If you get your druthers, get a rooster that is as close to a year old as possible, one that has been raised in a multi-generational flock and is so darn nice, he did not get culled.

Do know, there is no way to predict or produce a perfect rooster. Some are fabulous, and some are horrible, I usually have a rooster, but I have no problem in culling a rooster if he does not work out for me. If you don't think you could cull one, don't get one.

I'm kinda thinking getting a baby rooster.

I have all hens, backyard in the city. Not "supposed" to have a roo but they are in the city. My neighbor has a rooster, well it sounds like one. I DON'T need fertile eggs. But a good protector might be in order.

I have baby chics...one week old at this point. The local feed store does have baby roosters. I could add one to the brooder and see how it goes?
If you are not allowed to have one in your area it would be smarter to abstain from getting one.

Just imagine you would not be able to free range and would have to have him hidden and silenced all the time. Which would be no life for the poor bird and only add unnecessary stress to your relationship with beighbours etc.

Raising a cockerel with flockmates generally backfires. The cockerel gets bigger and becomes sexually active long before the pullets. Without older hen to keep them in line they often become very aggressive to pullets and to people. Inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence and aggression of a rooster,

People who are animal lovers often have misconceptions about chickens. Being raised together has almost no influence on adult behavior. Another is friendly chicks that readily approach you are loving being with you, That is not true, they have no fear which can make them aggressive.

As AArt, a respected poster here says, “roosters are where the romance of raising chickens meets reality.” Often it is not pretty.

Right now it is hard to imagine how big your birds will be. What is enough room for chicks rapidly becomes not enough room for full size birds. Flocks with roosters need more room than recommended.

Best advice is to raise the pullets, get some experience and then raise up a couple of cockerels and cull to the best one. If you cannot cull a rotten rooster, do not get roosters. There are a lot of rotten roosters no matter how you raise them.

Mrs K

I remember my Grandmother always had a rooster, not that they were needed, she just said they rounded out the flock having as she said, His Nibs strutting around in his Haughtiness was something she enjoyed. Being an impressionable 10 year old it stuck with me and I always had/have a Rooster. I get a few as chicks with the hens and when they mature I keep the most pleasing to the eye. Now with no young children I'll even tolerate a mean one if He's handsome.

I had an earlier flock without a rooster, then add some chickens and a rooster, Under both circumstances my flock did fine and produced eggs. I lost my flock to some wild dogs and have rebuilt my flock from new chicks, I'm trying to decide if I should get a rooster or not. My new chickens are now 15 weeks old. Your thoughts please.
I think you should. When raised right they really are sweet animals and make the hens feel safer.

Back
Top Bottom