rooster or no rooster?

chooks11

Hatching
Mar 9, 2015
I have11 chickens of mixed breeds. 2 Australorps, 2 Isa browns, 2 Plymouth rocks, 2 Heritage long lays, 2 White leghorns, 1 Isa brown leghorn cross. All very sociable birds, big yard and roomy coop. they freerange as well for at 3 hours a day on 16 acres.
I'm thinking of introducing a rooster,(appears to be Australorp/RIR cross). my questions are?
Do roosters affect the nature/friendliness/attitude of the flock
Do hens become more clucky if they have a rooster in the flock
Is there any benefits in running a rooster or are there more drawbacks running a rooster

That could be a good thread to read.

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is just personal preference. People keep flocks without roosters and are very happy. Some people would not dream of having a flock without a rooster. Everyone has their own reasons for their opinion.

A rooster changes the dynamics of a flock. How much is going to depend on the current flock dynamics and what you consider friendly. Part of a rooster’s job is to protect his flock. If he sees you as a threat that will definitely make them less friendly. Some people see their rooster as the friendliest member of the flock. Some see him as a threat to them. Some people should not have roosters.

Most roosters are pretty good early warning systems as to danger. A few will give their life to defend their flock. Once a danger has been verified, most of mine tend to lead their flock to safety instead of putting themselves between the threat and the flock. But most will go check out something to see if it really is a danger. And most will position themselves between a potential threat and the flock, at least until a threat has been verified.

Part of a rooster’s job is to keep peace and order in his flock. Not all roosters are equal in any of the traits a good rooster is supposed to have. You are dealing with living animals and they are all different. A good flock-master should break up fights and things like that. Will that make the hens more clucky? I have no idea. A rooster’s crow can be heard for a long way in still conditions. Some people like that sound, some hate it. How do you think your neighbors will feel about that?

Some people see chickens mating as brutal rape. Some see it as the way chickens do things. As one forum member said chicken mating is not for the faint of heart, at least until you get used to it.

Some roosters wind up attacking every human they see. They can be a danger to young children. For thousands of years, kids have been raised on farms that keep a rooster with a free ranging flock. Often those kids’ chores include gathering eggs when they get old enough. Old enough can be quite young. It’s not always a problem, but it can be.

Are there more benefits or drawbacks to running a rooster with the flock? A lot of that depends on which rooster you wind up with but in the end, it is a personal decision. They are living animals. Not all are the same.

Well said. I prefer my roosters to be independant but non-aggressive - I do not handle or pet them. And as far as mating some roosters are either gentler or better at talking the girls into compliance, and raise less ruckus and do less damage. I was not sure if my current rooster was even breeding the hens for a long time, because everything is so quiet and calm compared to my previous roosters.

Well, I took and looked at a lot of advice. And got my Rooster.
He's in isolation for a few days whilst I get to know him and part educate him.
Any ideas on type? He looks RIR AustralorpX ?

Back
Top Bottom