Rooster or not?

Heron's Nest Farm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 11, 2011
Oregon
SO I had chickens years ago. We are now able to do it again. I am debating on rooster or no. I really don't like the crowing at 2 am. What are your reasons for a rooster? Pros and cons?

Thanks!!!!
frow.gif

I like having roosters because they generally watch the skies more for predators than my hens do. My hens seem more content when they have a rooster around them.
Some cons are they can become aggressive to humans, some are rough when mating the hens, they can be loud and they crow when they want (crowing doesn't bother me).

Your rooster shouldn't crow at 2 am., unless he sees some type of light. porch light etc...... Roosters are great for the reasons mentioned.. But what I have noticed is that a flock just seems happier with a rooster running the show..... I was kind of leary of getting a rooster because of all the "mean rooster stories" I had heard..... I've had several roosters and never a mean 1... my 7 n 3 yr. old kids don't have a problem with them either.... plus they're way better lookin and fun to watch.... get a rooster...

I agree w/ the previous posts, and I have two flocks one w/ a roo and one w/o I have to agree the flock w/ Oreo seems more settled. I will put a roo in the other flock this year. I just hope w/ two crowing roos I won't regret it.

there is reason, u cant be self sufficient without one.

LOL. That is not my goal at this point, but rather luscious eggs. I can see after the rest of the farm is up to par, working a rooster in for higher self sufficiency.

I will be posting the pics of my coop project here soon!

Last edited:
I think if you have a good one, he'll make your life a little easier. If it's a bad one, well at least they taste good! ;)

I just think in general chickens are a lot more fun if you have a rooster. I have had chickens for under a year and I've learned so much from them. I really think a lot of that would not have happened if I had not gotten an accidental rooster. When I first discovered my rooster I was a bit upset, wishing it was a hen and thought about how to dispose of it. Now? I have another thread about wanting to get another rooster. I have a lot of respect for roosters. They are fearless, protective and I even like their crowing.

You could always get a bantam rooster if you wanted a little quieter of a crow and a little less of a threat. Hens will love your rooster. My hens follow mine like a tail. I strongly recommend a rooster so long as you are aware of their dangerous potential. I wouldn't let my nieces near my rooster. Children should be kept away but other than that they are great.

Back
Top Bottom