Rooster overbreeding

cassbickford

Songster
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Hi, I have one silver-laced Wyandotte rooster to 13 assorted LBF hens and three bantams. My roo has a very over active sex drive and mates to the girls like crazy. Most of them have bare backs and he has been recently cutting them while treading even though his spur is only 1/2. The hens are scared of him. Chicken saddles only cause more trouble for everyone. Will his sex drive diminish as he ages (he will be a year next month) or are we stuck with an overly hen aggressive rooster? What else can be done? Is it the guillotine for him?

I'd separate him for some time. Young birds have all those teenage hormones raging through them. Suddenly they are given a harem and simply can't control themselves. Being spring time hormones are high in all fowl so you've a bird in nitro mode.

He should mellow with age. The hens will submit to him in time without fuss so all goes smoothly. For the spring period I'd just keep him housed separate and out of sight of the girls. Will give them time to heal and him time to lower his hormone levels.

Back
Top Bottom