Rooster picking on 1 hen

Neighborhood Chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2020
Hudson, CO
I have a small flock of 7 hens and a roo. But one of my hens, a small Americana, cannot come out of the house or small yard because the roo attacks her every time - so she has to stay in the house and not free range with the rest of them. She tries to come out but if he spots her, he comes running from the other side of the yard to attack her. What do I do to help her? He is not mean to us or any other chicken. Thank you!

thanks for your response. The coop is 10 ft by 10 ft. with 2 large roosts and 8 nest boxes (we had more chickens for a while). The yard is 20ft by 30 ft. Large enough for 8 chickens for sure. They have all been together for over a year. The roo is about 3 years old and the hen is about 2 years old. They were all getting along and then a couple months ago he began this. I suspect she is the lowest on pecking order and rather fearful. So it seems like she might be over-reacting - if she ventures out of the yard to free range with them he see her from a distance and runs fast to attack her so she hurries back to the coop where she stays almost all of the time. It seems more than male sexual advances. It looks like he is just attacking her. If he wants to mate with any of the others he is right next to them.

I am also dealing with this right now. It has been going on for a few weeks. Ever since my top rooster had to be put to sleep. Now the only other rooster I have is in charge and he is severely picking on my one hen. He is approximately 2 yrs old and the hen is 4 yrs old. He has ripped her comb and left her bleeding several times. She continues to run and hide from him. I have to play musical chairs of sorts keeping some hens and roster locked inside and letting her and a few others out and then switching up the next day. It is a huge pain. I think your only answer is to separate him or her. I have divided my coop and pen into two sections. And the fence is electrified. He has not tried to test the fence. But if the fence was not there, he would attack her.

I am also dealing with this right now. It has been going on for a few weeks. Ever since my top rooster had to be put to sleep. Now the only other rooster I have is in charge and he is severely picking on my one hen. He is approximately 2 yrs old and the hen is 4 yrs old. He has ripped her comb and left her bleeding several times. She continues to run and hide from him. I have to play musical chairs of sorts keeping some hens and roster locked inside and letting her and a few others out and then switching up the next day. It is a huge pain. I think your only answer is to separate him or her. I have divided my coop and pen into two sections. And the fence is electrified. He has not tried to test the fence. But if the fence was not there, he would attack her.
Unfortunately, I would find it very difficult to separate them.

I had the same problem last year. Finally the hen refused to go back in the coop. If I forced her in she would hide in a nesting box and if I opened a box she would fly out. I finally just let her stay out and she would roost under the carport. Something finally got her one night or early that morning. :(

Back
Top Bottom