Rooster pooping green?

Gina70427

Chirping
Mar 30, 2023
I have a rooster that I just noticed today acting stand-offish and pooping green bubbly poop. A coon had got in the coop the other night and got one of my hens and he fought with it. I had seen his face looked swollen and his mouth open so I thought it was from this fight. Well now I’m not so sure since I saw this green poop. Anyways …I’m fairly new to chickens and didn’t know they where supposed to be wormed …🤷🏼‍♀️ since then I’ve educated myself quite a bit on them, but I’m not sure what may be wrong with him. He seems ok but lethargic somewhat . He runs to food but I don’t see him eating. I don’t know what to do I have eight chicks that I’m supposed to be adding soon and am scared to let them around him. There are three hens left with my roosters flock and one is pulling feathers off also.. I’m so worried and don’t know what I should do. I have some mr a’s tonic I just put in there water and have put diotanceous earth all in the chicken yard. I went to get a pic of his poop (rooster) just now but it had disappeared. It’s green bubbly and watery. Also I did see him eat some scratch just now. I’m just worried . Should I vaccinate them? Plz any advice. My family thinks I’m obsessing over chickens but I’m not. I love animals and when they are locked in a pin or depend on humans it’s our jobs to be good to them. They can’t tell us what’s wrong so we have to watch and figure it out. I’ve have a problem with coons killing my chickens, one hen was egg bound, and had two chics with issues wen they where born, splay legs and one has a hernia.. so my life has been chickens lol. Thanks for all the help!! I just want them healthy and happy! God bless!! (Sorry this is so long)

Hi there, sorry to hear about your roo. Your post is a bit messy, can you please list out his age, breed, diet and symptoms? Can you get pictures of his face? How big of a coop and run do your birds have?
Can you feel his crop for oddities? It's supposed to feel like a wet beanbag, if it feels like a waterballoon, squishy or doughy, it might be a crop issue.
Where did you get him?

Hi there, sorry to hear about your roo. Your post is a bit messy, can you please list out his age, breed, diet and symptoms? Can you get pictures of his face? How big of a coop and run do your birds have?
Can you feel his crop for oddities? It's supposed to feel like a wet beanbag, if it feels like a waterballoon, squishy or doughy, it might be a crop issue.
Where did you get him?
I’m truly sorry and yea it was a bit of a messy message. I had to stop a few times while writing it pl forgive me. He is a Rhode Island Red and I will get pictures. It was my brothers rooster so I’m not sure his age ( I think 2? ) i basically am the one taking care of all these birds and have different things I’m trying to learn about hens, chicks and Jim the rooster. I know my brother got him from a sale at our feed store here. Again I’m so sorry about my message lol but today I noticed he is putting his head in a circular motion in the air (as if he is crowing) I’m just bit overwhelmed .

I’m truly sorry and yea it was a bit of a messy message. I had to stop a few times while writing it pl forgive me. He is a Rhode Island Red and I will get pictures. It was my brothers rooster so I’m not sure his age ( I think 2? ) i basically am the one taking care of all these birds and have different things I’m trying to learn about hens, chicks and Jim the rooster. I know my brother got him from a sale at our feed store here. Again I’m so sorry about my message lol but today I noticed he is putting his head in a circular motion in the air (as if he is crowing) I’m just bit overwhelmed .
To me these are symptoms of sour crop

Please attach a video/some pictures.

To attach a video, like of the circular motions, post it to a site like youtube, and if you would like, you can put it to the option of only being seen by a link before posting, so nobody scrolling through YouTube can see it. Copy the link, attach it here.

To attach a photo, click
C6452B85-00A6-4F75-8FB6-514B9441551F.jpeg
hit drop image, then do photo library. Hope your roo feels better soon. Could it be that he is gaping? (Opening mouth very wide, stretching out neck.)

Back
Top Bottom