Rooster Problem

ChickenCrazySC

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
I have a small backyard flock i just started this year. I have three RIR and three Buff Orphingtons. My problem is the three Buff Orphingtons are all Roosters! They seem to get along for the time being but as all boys do they are constantly bothering the ladys if you know what i mean. Trying to figure out what to do because obviously the three amigos are not going to be friends forever.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about all your roosters. Not only are they going to fight, but they will over mate the hens, hurting or really harming them. The proper ratio of rooster to hen is 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens.

You might do some chatting in your state thread. Maybe one of your chicken neighbors will take a couple of these boys off your hands. Scroll through this link to find your state thread...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

When you have 20 posts, you can place an ad in our Buy Sell and Trade section in hopes someone will take them...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

Good luck and I hope you can find them a good forever home. :)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. TwoCrows has given you some good advice. Too many roosters will be very physically hard on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without all of the aggression, fighting, non-productive mouths to feed, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-breeding and battering of hens that goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and are enjoying life without roosters around. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in re-homing at least two of your roosters and getting some more hens.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice from TwoCrows and Michael about either placing the roos, or separating them from the girls in a bachelor flock.

I just found a home for one of them! So one down one to go. I'm going to a swap,buy,sell in two weeks so hopefully I can find him a new home soon. Thanks again for the comments and advise.

If you bring anything home from the swap please do quarantine for a month or so. You never know what they may be bringing with them. Also be cautious about buying period. Swap people come and go, there are some that just dump their culls and disappear before you can complain. Welcome to BYC

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom