Rooster problems

Silkie2

Songster
Mar 1, 2016
Southern NH
IMG_5507.JPG
Sorry this is the only pic I could find if him. ( he's behind the Cinnamon queen, they are both the same age, I believe)
IMG_5539.JPG
Here's a pic of his poop :sick

I have a couple of questions about my rooster, Oliver.
First, he doesn't crow! He hatched in late march. He tried mating with a (teenage) chick, so I know he's definitely a rooster. Why doesn't he crow? I'm glad he doesn't though because we live in a neighborhood and if he gets too loud we'll have to give him away.
My second question is when he bends over mucus comes out of his mouth. his poop is also watery.
Oliver acts normal (except for not crowing) and is actually pretty friendly (we've only had skittish or mean roosters)

How old is he?

Are you sure he is a he? Just trying to mate as a teen does not mean rooster always, it can mean dominating a bird to push it down the pecking order and moving yourself up the ladder...

Also I cannot see them well but the saddle feathers appear rounded.

How old is he?

Are you sure he is a he? Just trying to mate as a teen does not mean rooster always, it can mean dominating a bird to push it down the pecking order and moving yourself up the ladder...

Also I cannot see them well but the saddle feathers appear rounded.
his tail feathers are curved and his feathers are a lot shinier then the other welsummer his age, I also asked on here if he was a cockerel and everyone who answered said he was.

View attachment 1036510 Sorry this is the only pic I could find if him. ( he's behind the Cinnamon queen, they are both the same age, I believe)
View attachment 1036511 Here's a pic of his poop :sick
when he bends over mucus comes out of his mouth. his poop is also watery.
Oliver acts normal (except for not crowing) and is actually pretty friendly (we've only had skittish or mean roosters)

That poop looks questionable to me, can you take a fresh poop sample to your vet for testing of worms and cocci?

What type of food/treats do you feed and do they have a source of poultry grit (crushed granite, small stones/rock)?

Check his crop to see that it is functioning properly. Smell his breath - any sour smell? Feel the crop at night when he goes to roost, it should be full. Feel it again first thing in the morning before he has had anything to eat/drink, it should be empty. Mucous coming from the beak makes me think he could have some crop issues.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Last edited:
That poop looks questionable to me, can you take a fresh poop sample to your vet for testing of worms and cocci?

What type of food/treats do you feed and do they have a source of poultry grit (crushed granite, small stones/rock)?

Check his crop to see that it is functioning properly. Smell his breath - any sour smell? Feel the crop it at night when he goes to roost, it should be full. Feel it again first thing in the morning before he has had anything to eat/drink, it should be empty. Mucous coming from the beak makes me think he could have some crop issues.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
we give oyster shells mixed in with there regular chicken feed.
going out to feel his crop now.

we give oyster shells mixed in with there regular chicken feed.
going out to feel his crop now.

Oyster shell is a dissolvable source of calcium that hens should have free choice - personally I would not mix it with the feed.

Poultry grit is indissolvable and used by the gizzard to grind foods so they can be processed. Commercial poultry grit is usually crushed granite. Depending on your soil, chickens can find suitable sharp small stones or rocks to use as a source of grit as well.

fwiw - checking the crop during the day is o.k. and you may be able to detect if there is a sour smell to the breath which would indicate sour crop. But daytime crop checking is NOT an accurate gauge for function. A chicken will eat throughout the day and the fullness of the crop will fluctuate too much to properly check it. Checking at night, then in the morning is the best way to determine function.

Oyster shell is a dissolvable source of calcium that hens should have free choice - personally I would not mix it with the feed.

Poultry grit is indissolvable and used by the gizzard to grind foods so they can be processed. Commercial poultry grit is usually crushed granite. Depending on your soil, chickens can find suitable sharp small stones or rocks to use as a source of grit as well.

fwiw - checking the crop during the day is o.k. and you may be able to detect if there is a sour smell to the breath which would indicate sour crop. But daytime crop checking is NOT an accurate gauge for function. A chicken will eat throughout the day and the fullness of the crop will fluctuate too much to properly check it. Checking at night, then in the morning is the best way to determine function.
oh ok thank you so much for the information! :)

Back
Top Bottom