rooster problems

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaggysEggsAidan, Aug 23, 2013.

1. MaggysEggsAidan

MaggysEggsAidan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    9 weeks ago I hatched an Indian game rooster along with five hens because the rooster is starting to mature he is starting to 'pester" the less developed hens. I have another coop with three laying hens in it should I put him with them, leave him with the younger hens or do something else, any ideas appreciated:)

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I'd put him in with the older hens, or keep him in a separate area. If he's with older hens, it is likely that they will put him in his place, and he won't be able to pester them.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I second that. He's young enough he may not be able to over work the hens too much. You will have to keep an eye on those hens as he matures, also, as three hens isn't much for an active young rooster. What's your long term plan for him?

4. MaggysEggsAidan

MaggysEggsAidan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    He will be put with the other six hens along with the 3 laying hens and they'll live in a flock.

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    When you say pester, what exactly does that mean? Is he just pecking at them chasing them etc? If so that is normal chicken behavior and because he is a rooster he wants to be boss but some of the pullets might want to be boss to. Im guessing its just typically teenage chicken stuff and they need to establish pecking order. I would leave the 9 week old with the 9 week olds and then add them all to the adult hens down the road at the same time. JMO though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by