1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster question for the old timers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robin'sBrood, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Not "old timer" as in age, "old timer' as in chicken egg-perience. [​IMG]

Based on experience, what breed/s of roosters are the friendliest and unfriendliest?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    friendlyist i've heard of-Silkies, seramas, Jersey giants, Black langshans. and most other large breeds. most unfriendlyist-Rirs. EEs. OEGBs (although all of my OEGBs are REALLY friendly. ) gamefowl (my hens and rooster are friendly), and... all i can think of at the moment

-Daniel

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Not an old-timer, but of the three cockerals I've had, the RIR was starting to get aggressive at 16 weeks, when I found him a new home. The silkie would be nasty is he was any bigger and didn't have feathers flopping in his face. He would love to be a nasty flogging rooster, but he just gets picked up and cuddled. So nasty, but too small and blinded to be a menace. That leaves my BO, who is always a gentleman. He comes to protect his ladies, but has never come near to being nasty to a person. Just a big sweet guy.

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a white leghorn, hes not mean to me but he is to my dad because I believe women raised him and not any males. If you get them young you'll have a stronger bond. But if not you could find them homes.

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Russian Orloffs are SUPPOSED to be super gentle. I'll find out soon I have 1 Roo. He is great so far! Keep you posted

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My dark brahma roo is a perfect roo, IMHO. My light brahma took a few days of training, but now he's a perfect roo too.

7. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I recently got a Barred Plymouth Rock, 22 weeks old to go w/ my 22 week old girls. He previously lived in a coop w/ running pen and a chicken tractor during the day. With me he is free ranging. The last owner said he was loud and pesty w/ the girls. I find him to be a real gem and after a few rounds now he is a gentleman w/ my girls. I think he's just thankful to be able to free range so he's happier. Overall he is a good breed, I think.

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have 2 leghorns,,ones a son of the biggie, and the biggie hates everyone but me, have 3 rirs, they dont wanna be touched but handle it, 1 brahma (blind) he's my baby sitter, and a barred rock, hes the sweetest of them all and another babysitter,, so meanest towards anything that moves is my white leghorn, and best is the rock.

EDIT: forgot bout my gamefowl,, he's mean if he's cornered,, scared if he can run.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  9. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Our most aggressive rooster is named Marty. He's a RIR, and I have heard that Rhode Island Reds are not very friendly birds. [​IMG] And even though we hand raised him from a day old, he still chases after us and tries to peck at us! Not a gentlemen for our young pullets. [​IMG] They don't like him at all.
    BUFF ORPINGTONS ARE AWESOME!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] VERY GENTLE AND AFFECTIONATE!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] They are a very good choice if you want a gentle and nice bird who will make a strong bond with you and others(including the other chickens) [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I adore my Barred Rock boys and my Blue Orpington. They are friendly, calm and alert. I can bend over and look them in the face with no fear of being hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by