Rooster Question-messed up spur???

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
when we went out in the chicken coop to collect eggs, we found one of the rooster's spurs!!!
ep.gif
we have two RIR roosters. We found out that it belonged to our rooster, Marty. But when we looked at where his spur used to be, it looked pretty strange. Kinda black colored, like it was infected and had fallen off.
hu.gif
This doesn't seem normal.
any ideas on what is going on or what it is?
idunno.gif
Thanks!

ANYONNNNEEEE.....????
hu.gif

anyone know anything about it....???? no?
hu.gif
well that's strange...
idunno.gif

i would talk to your vet. and maybe get some dis-infecting medicine for his leg. make sure he is in a safe place and wont get harmed by any of the other chickens.

OK thanks!
smile.png

It may just be that he has to "shed" his spurs, like when male deer shed their horns around a certain time of year.
That may be it. And the strange color may just be because it's dirty or something. We will keep an eye on it!

Actually I looked up this forum for pretty much the same thing. I didn't find the spur but the other day I noticed that one of our roosters spur was totally black but only one spur. oh the next day or two I notice his use to be 2 inch long spur was only a little black nub. If you find out anything or if anyone can answer why I would appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom