1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Question-messed up spur???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 77horses, Oct 3, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    when we went out in the chicken coop to collect eggs, we found one of the rooster's spurs!!! [​IMG] we have two RIR roosters. We found out that it belonged to our rooster, Marty. But when we looked at where his spur used to be, it looked pretty strange. Kinda black colored, like it was infected and had fallen off. [​IMG] This doesn't seem normal.
    any ideas on what is going on or what it is? [​IMG] Thanks!

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    ANYONNNNEEEE.....???? [​IMG]
    anyone know anything about it....???? no? [​IMG] well that's strange... [​IMG]

3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Hmmm. Got me. [​IMG] 1 of our roosters spur chiped, but nothing like that.

4. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i would talk to your vet. and maybe get some dis-infecting medicine for his leg. make sure he is in a safe place and wont get harmed by any of the other chickens.

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK thanks! [​IMG]
    It may just be that he has to "shed" his spurs, like when male deer shed their horns around a certain time of year.
    That may be it. And the strange color may just be because it's dirty or something. We will keep an eye on it!

6. yahwehsmymaster

yahwehsmymaster New Egg

Dec 12, 2008
    Actually I looked up this forum for pretty much the same thing. I didn't find the spur but the other day I noticed that one of our roosters spur was totally black but only one spur. oh the next day or two I notice his use to be 2 inch long spur was only a little black nub. If you find out anything or if anyone can answer why I would appreciate it.

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My goose lost his back claw, it got ripped off. Afterwards his stumpy bit was black with bruise and dried blood. It just happened. I don't know how, but I wrapped his foot in neosporin and a bandage, and he did okay. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by