Rooster Question

Ccdance75

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2015
It seems as though my rooster is ganging up on my most beautiful hen. The back of her head is nearly pecked off! I'm taking care of the wound but how do i keep it from happening again. Last night i was so upset, i locked him in the run and out of the coop. He did not like that. Is that a solution? Can i keep doing that? Then, this morning i put the hen in the garage in a cage (which i hate doing because i don't feel she should be separated from the flock) but i had to go to work and didn't want the rooster to attack her again. I can tell shes afraid because this morning when i let them all out, she stayed up on the highest roost. I'm afraid she won't come down for food or water.
Any suggestions?

I am actually trying to get in touch with someone i know that may take the rooster from us.

How old are these chickens, young roosters do that a lot. Penning him separately for a while or getting rid of him are your only choices, if he's young he might grow out of it, if he's mature he probably won't and should be culled. She probably is not doing what he wants her to do, or he's trying to mate with her and she's not allowing him.

Sounds like it's time to eval why you have a rooster, and why this particular rooster. If you simply got a male by mistake and did not intend to have a rooster, I say get rid of him. Most smaller backyard flocks are better when it's just a group of hens.

I had a rooster couple of years ago that took a particular interest in one hen and pursued her relentlessly, he also injured her a couple times attempting to mate with her. She became very skittish and was spending all day either hiding or looking over her shoulder when she did venture out. Penned him separately for a few weeks while but he picked right up where he left off when I let him back out. Got rid of him and she's been a much happier bird ever since.

He is only 6 months old. I got him by mistake and it's definitely time for him to go. I guess leaving him the run at night is the way to go. And I can only keep the hen in the garage during the day so the others can roam and eat and drink. Poor girl!

How bad is the wound? Can you blue-kote it so the other hens won't peck at it and lock him up in the garage?

Back
Top Bottom